Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RTL parts (Hebrew) not working in LTR document

Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign 17.4 (MENA edition)

I have received a file (= file 1) with fully formatted character and paragraph styles. Since the text I’m working with includes parts in Hebrew, I have added a “Hebrew” character style with Middle East Character Formats > Character Direction: Right-to-Left turned on. Unexpectedly, however, the Hebrew parts do not run from right to left – the letters are arranged in left-to-right order:

RTL1.png

The result is the same whether the Character Direction in the according body paragraph style setting with the same name as above (Middle East Character Formats) is set to RTL or LTR. There are no overrides in the file.

Now here is the truly mysterious thing: if I load the body paragraph style from another file (= file 2) I am currently working on – one that I created myself – and copy and paste the text from file 1 to this one, the Hebrew is displayed correctly:

RTL2.png

In other words, in file 1 the text is entered correctly, and both the character style and the paragraph style have the correct MENA settings. But why is the Hebrew displayed incorrectly?

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Problem resolved! The setting that is needed is, of course, hidden here:

Justification > Composer: Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Problem resolved! The setting that is needed is, of course, hidden here:

Justification > Composer: Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines