• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Running low on memory - can you use E drive instead of C?

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Primary hard drive has limited space and InDesign message will pop up -- Running low on disk space.... Needs space for temporary data on C.......  Is there a way to configure InDesign to use a secondary drive for this?

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least to an extent. You can set a new location for the recovery folder in your prefs. It's at the top of the File Handling section.

But if you are getting this kind of message you have a serious space problem that is going to affect the entire system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Spier wrote:

But if you are getting this kind of message you have a serious space problem that is going to affect the entire system.

Right, if free space on the system drive is getting too far below 100GB, eventually this will not be just an InDesign problem. This low free space alert should be resolved as a system-wide issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. Installing all the CC apps not on Drive C would be an option perhaps.

I did that and all my CC apps are installed on Drive F now which belongs to the same internal SSD disk.

Go to your private preferences of the CC Desktop App and change the installation path.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a relatively small C drive: 512 M.2 SSD, with three other 4 TB internal drives. 

I ONLY keep my OS and software on the C drive--however, everything will want to use the C drive by default.

Windows will want to store a number of items on the C drive including photos, videos, music, and other documents. Put them elsewhere: Photos settings can be changed to another drive; music can be changed to another drive (I use iTunes); copy your documents in the Documents folder to another location. 

All my Adobe cache settings are set to another drive exclusively for program caches. 

My OneDrive (two accounts), Google Drive (4 accounts), Dropbox, and Box accounts all point to external drives. 

Try running Disk Clean up and click "Clean up System Files"--see how much you can save. Then decide to clean the listed items up. Also check to see if you have a lot of system restore points--you should only need restore points up to about 30 days or less. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines