• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Same Page number for a set of Facing page(s)

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know if there is a way to automatically insert the same page number for both of the facing pages.

For example, 

Facing page(s) (2-3)  - Page Number (2-2)

Facing page(s) (4-5)  - Page Number (3-3)

Facing page(s) (6-7)  - Page Number (4-4)

Additionally, is there also a way to implement this with a different language, i.e, having the same page number for facing pages in 2 different language scripts.

For example,

Facing page(s) (2-3) - Page number (2 [For left facing page]) and (٢ [For right facing page] - 2 in Arabic)

More like,

Facing page(s) (2-3)  - Page Number (2-٢)

Facing page(s) (4-5)  - Page Number (3-٣)

Facing page(s) (6-7)  - Page Number (4-٤)

It would be really helpful if some workarounds exist or would it be possible through scripting. If such a discussion was already made, it would be much appreciated to point me to it since I don't seem to find an answer.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have only one solution as InDesign knows only page, but not spread numbers.

1. Create a document in the size of your spreads as non facing pages, but not pages.
  2. Make there the numbers as you need them.
  3. Export as PDF/X-4 with bleed.
  4. Place that document in a facing page document with the final pages size.

Instead of step 3 you can place the INDD directly into the other document without exporting as PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Willi,

Thanks for the workaround suggestion. Just to ask since I am new to InDesign. The document that I am working on will be around 1200 pages. Will it be easier to placce the INDD for the whole number of pages rather than having them numbered manually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Placing whole spreads with a prepaired image frame with an approptiate object style is not much work.

But 1200 pages? I would recommend to split in several documents bundled into 1 indb book file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. I was also wondering on how to go ahead with the document and it is best to do it in parts to avoid any complications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact you're not using page numbers but, rather, spread numbers. The second spread (pp. 2, 3) are numbered 2; the third spread (pp. 4, 5) are numbered 3. Etc. It should be pretty straightforward to add some text frames for the 'page' numbers on your master page(s) and to do a script that overrides those frames and inserts the numbers.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose then using scripts would be the only possible method to implement it reasonably. I would have to look into it to make my work more easier.

Thanks for the input...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct. A script can't be avoided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a workaround - use the normal procedure on your master pages to create the automatic page numbers:

Type > Insert Special Character > Markers > Current page number

But for the righthand/odd page, use Previous page number (not current page number).

This will only work if the two text frames are linked - you can make the frames narrow so the number breaks into the second frame, or make the text a breaking paragraph style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought about it, but there is a problem with the subsequent facing page(s).

For the first spread it would look like 1-1, but for the second and third it would be like 3-3, 5-5 and so on instead of 2-2, 3-3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's not going to work, because there's no relation between page and page numbers. The numbers that appear on pages are in fact spread numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines