• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save As Preferences InDesign 2020

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I open a document from my desktop and hit Cmd S (the first time) I am prompted to Save As and replace the same file. Then each time after the document saves normally with Cmd S. I don't remember having to do this in the past with pre-existing files. Is there a way to change this so that when I hit Cmd S the file just saves without prompting a Save As? Do I need to change my hotkeys? Am I using the hotkey for Save As without realizing it? My InDesign shows that the hotkey for Save As is Cmd Shift S so I don't think that's the issue.

Thank you,

A concerned saver

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the expected behavior when you open a file that was created in an earlier version of InDesign. Notice the word [Converted] in the tab bar, next to the file name. Once you save the file, you will not be prompted to Save as again.

convert.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb, 

Thanks for the feedback. The file does not say it is converted.

First time I opened the file > Made a change > Cmd S > Prompts Save As

Close File

Re-open file from same location > Make a change > Cmd S > Prompts Save As again and asks me to replace the file again in the location I opened it from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP is with CC2020, are you also using 2020? Does it happen if you select Save from the menu and don’t use Command-S?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob,

Yes it also does this when I go to Save from the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can override the Save As for [Converted] files via scripting, see this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/convert-indd-cc2015-to-indd-2020-without-resave/td-p/1150672...

Here is a Javascript version of the AppleScript code I posted in the thread:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/f6fb4f47-7d4f-422f-59d3-c668026e66c4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm understanding your post correctly, your InDesign is doing a SAVE AS everytime even after it has been properly saved. The Save As happens even if you save a file, close it, and reopen it. Is that correct? 

If it only happens the FIRST time you open the file, then it's being converted somehow as Barb mentioned. If this happens ALL the time, then there is a problem. I suspect it might be a permissions issue on the computer itself, but just guessing with more info.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! That is an accurate understanding of the issue and glad to know I was right to think it should not be doing this. It wastes a lot of time to have to effectively Save As every single time. I remember on a prior computer not having to do this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try repairing permissions without any programs open.

https://www.howtogeek.com/195912/how-when-and-why-to-repair-disk-permissions-on-your-mac/

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on OSX? Have you updated the OS recently? I just noticed the file path is to your Desktop, can you choose Save As and successfully overwrite the original?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines