• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save, export, link window keeps defaulting out to Mac Hard Drive

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running on a new work laptop - MacBook Pro (16 inch 2019).

I’m up-to-date with Mac Big Sur OS (11.5.1) and InDesign as of 08.13.2021.

I’m having real issues when saving/exporting/linking to a file out of InDesign. Half of the time, everything goes smoothly and InDesign remembers the last folder used or at least the documents folder. But, I’m coming up against a bug where the save/export/etc. window is defaulting all the way out to the Mac HD folder the rest of the time.

I think it’s a glitch because in an instance where it wants to save me all the way out to the Mac HD folder, I can just cancel the save/export, try again, and then, viola, it magically drills down to the correct job folder.

I did a search online and of this forum and this seemed to have been a bug a couple of software iterations back but looks like it was addressed. I'm not really finding anyone else running up against this like I am.

I ran my problem through my work's IT, Mac guru and he was at a loss but theorized it might be a RAM issue? He was just guessing.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any strange file names in any of the files or linked files? Did you go ahead and patch to macOS 11.5.2? Is InDesign patched to 16.3? When you installed ID, did you migrate old settings forward to the new installed version? Sometimes that causes problems. I always turn that option off when upgrading.

Just guessing with you!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

Thanks for responding. I'm updating to 11.5.2 now. Not hopefull it will do anything but who knows. Nothing off about the file names across the board, it's all pretty standard file names like I've been doing for a long time. I don't believe any settings were carried over from the old laptop and older version of CC. I set it all up brand new.

Thanks for spittballing ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, after updating Big Sur and uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign, the problem persists. I seem to get a couple of hours of work in after starting up the Macbook before it starts trying to force me out to the hard drive. I'm unsure where to go from here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checkout Default Folder, which gives you complete control over the place, save and export destinations.

https://www.stclairsoft.com/index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. It being a work computer, I don't think they'll go for the 3rd party software since I'm having an isolated incident but I can certainly try to coax them.

I'll keep searching for an answer outside of a 3rd party download.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'd request you to update the app to the latest version(v16.4) & see if you've the similar concern. If you do, please share the preferences files with us. We'll be happy to take a look.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'd request you to update the app to the latest version(v16.4) & see if you've the similar concern. If you do, please share the preferences files with us. We'll be happy to take a look.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines