• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saved documents and templates are opening as untitled

Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a few documents and templates that I've "Saved As" a few times. Whenever I open them in InDesign, they keep opening as Untitled-1.

How do I save these so that open as if they were already saved? This isn't happening with all of my files.

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is because you have saved them as InDesign templates (indt), not InDesign documents (indd). InDesign templates open always as Untitled-1 (except if you check the “open original” radio button).

But anyway, if you want to save them as InDesign documents, you will need to save them “as”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, okay. Is that just how it works with templates? It was intentional to save them as templates, not documents. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. InDesign always opens copies of .indt files so that you don't advertently overwrite the template. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can quickly convert documents to templates and vice versa by just changing the extension (which changes the opening behavior, so changing .indt to .indd will put you at risk of overwriting). You don't have to open the file and save as with the new extension. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also update templates directly by just selecting .indt as the save type and accepting the overwrite of the existing file.

But yes, as in nearly all document apps I know, the only difference between a live doc file and a template is the extension (.indd/indt, .doc/.dot, .docx/.dotx).

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines