• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving a copy of an idd file breaks the Share for Review link

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My team loves the Share for Review feature. Super convenient to have all our feedback in one place. But it means that unless we want to issue new links all the time and create unnecessary confusion, we can only work out of one file since you can't bring comments with you with Save As. So we'd like to at least be able to Save a Copy to preserve old versions of our files in case we need to revisit something (like taking a snapshot). But this also breaks the link for some reason. All the comments disappear from the review panel in InDesign and you have to create a whole new link and make sure all your stakeholders are now using the new link which can create some chaos if there are a lot of people involved.

Our workaround, for now, is to copy the file in windows explorer and rename it. We get our snapshot and the link is preserved.

Seems like a bug though? I can't imagine a situation in which you'd want to disassociate your comments from the file when saving a copy.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming up and still in beta, InDesign will be able to create cloud documents like Illustrator and Photoshop. One of the features of this is versioning so you can return to view an earlier version of the document that you choose to save.

I'm guessing this could be coming in the new year at some point.

I the meantime, I think you'll need to use your workarouund.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally understand things are still in beta, and I'm excited to see how things develop. I was just thinking that saving a copy should never break a review link since you're not making any changes to the original file that generated the link. I wanted to point out that this may be a bug unless someone can explain why this behavior should be expected.

Maybe it's just a sign that I'm getting old, but I do struggle with cloud versioning systems. Digging through tons of small changes (especially if you've been working on something for a really long time) can be a time killer. And then file organization often becomes tricky since I inevitably have things organized on the server the way I like, but then a bunch of random documents are living in the cloud instead. But that's a whole other conversation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@jinmus73407915 said:

"Our workaround, for now, is to copy the file in windows explorer and rename it. We get our snapshot and the link is preserved.

Seems like a bug though?"

My impression is that this behavior is an unwise design decision by the developers.

I reported it years ago. Your strategy to do snapshots is exactly the right thing to do:

Duplicate the documents in the file system.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines