• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script to add footnotes

Enthusiast ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a and old documnet which which runs in couple of text frames which are linked.

I have references made like this (ftn) then couple of words or sentences and (ftn)...and so on

I have another text frame which contains list of footnotes.

I want a simple script that adds footnotes as per the number (ftn)...(ftn)...and so on..

I have seen Peter Kahrel's script but its to complicated to understand...Can anyone guide plz

Thanks

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a specific request, you should ask someone to write the script for you for a fee.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion Peter.

I am using your scripts and its a life saver. I want to learn scripting, specially the ones which involve in footnotes.

I tried to understand your script but could not as I am fairly new in scripting.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @shahidr100,

@Peter Kahrel would definitely have used the DOM api's for the changes done on the document, simplistically let's say creation of footnote for example. So you can understand that part from his code and then break down your remaining problem set in smaller pieces that you can try to tackle, search on the forum or ask questions around it. What I am trying to say is, if you are trying to learn then there is no need to give up by saying someone else's code is complex, you have to give it a shot on your own to start with.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

First of all my apologies. I didnt ment to hurt anyone...I have lot of respect for Peter. I am using his scripts in my day to day life work. It was complex for me to understand. I am incompetent here.

In no way I am trying to hurt him or anyone. He is helping people with his knowledge. I am sorry once again. My sincere apologies @Peter Kahrel 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one got hurt here @shahidr100 chill out. We both gave you suggestions that you can follow

• Peter meant that if you want specific changes w.r.t. your workflow and are not interested in putting in too much time learning his public code you can hire a scripter.
  • My suggestion was if you are trying to learn then why are you demoralised by looking at the code of a master coder. Pick up the pieces that are easy to understand, devise a strategy and keep adding new pieces of enchancements to your code by learning along side.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Manan, I'll give it a second shot....

Regards

Shahid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To search for api/properties of InDesign DOM objects you can look at the following

https://www.indesignjs.de/extendscriptAPI/indesign-latest/#Application.html

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, Shahidr, no offence taken at all. Follow Manan's suggestions and you'll be fine.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines