Exit

Scripts after upgrading to 2023

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Hello,

After upgrading I discovered that my ID 2022 scripts were missing.

In the panic of not seeing the scripts after updating I put the Indesign 2022 scripts  in the Applications/ Indesign 2023 /Scripts/Documents, not in the indicated place which is:

Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/[version]/[language]/Scripts/Scripts Panel

In this place I have no scripts. The Scrips panel folder is empty. I think that from Indesign 2022 they were already mislocated: they were not in Library/preferences but in Applications/Adobe Indesign 2022 /Scripts. For this reason perhaps they did not migrate...

Now, I am in Indesign 2023 and all my scripts are visible: Window/Utilities/Scripts/Community. All located in this Community folder (wrong place but it works)

My question is

a) should I remove them from the program folder and move them to the traditional Library/Preferences... etc. place?

b) And if this situation is tolerable although it has the problem that in upgrades they do not migrate.

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The scripts are generally installed at the following location from where the script panel reads and populates its list

/Applications/Adobe InDesign 2022/Scripts/Scripts Panel/Samples/JavaScript

Inside this folder you can create subfolders and they will also be visible in the scripts panel. For migration you can copy over your specific scripts into the corresponding folder of the new version. Another way is to keep your scripts in a folder outside InDesign installation and place a symbolic link to this folder inside the path given above. This way the only thing that needs to be copied over is the symbolic link and you also mitigate the risk of accidently losing your scripts due to botched installation/uninstallation

P.S. :- I gave a generic answer as I don't have CC2023 installed right away. But this should be relevant to that version as well

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manan, thanks.

Indeed. I have my script located at
/Applications/Adobe InDesign 2022/Scripts/Scripts Panel/

After upgrading to 2023 scripts were not migrated from 2022.

I suposse that it is derived from not having them in the folder

Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/[version]/[language]/Scripts/Scripts Panel

and that when there are upgrades they do migrate if they are in that other folder...

best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Mariana TF,

You are right that the scripts at the location /Applications/Adobe InDesign 2022/Scripts/Scripts Panel/ don't get migrated. I have not placed scripts in the other location you mentioned so if that works well for migration then we have a solution and keep using it. Otherwise I did suggest you another option of symbolic link which would require just an extra step of adding the symbolic link to the source folder in the new version of InDesign and you are also safe from any unwanted deletes etc.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines