Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search default: change to Document rather than Story

Engaged ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate making stupid mistakes.

I routinely open one of my long documents, search for something that I know is in there, and then give myself a dope slap to the head. That's because I almost always forget to change the scope from Story to Document.

I wish I could either (a) change the default from Story to Document, or (b) that the option was sticky between InDesign sessions.

Is there something I'm missing and I could fixt this somehow? If not I'll post this as a user feature request.

TOPICS
Feature request , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. If you change settings, your changes set the defaults for new documents. For example, if you select Search > Document, then next time, you will get the Document option by default, not the story. If that is not happening, I suggest you reset your preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html) and upgrade your InDesign to the latest version. I hope that helps!

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings, and InDesign will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The probem is indeed that the settings are not "sticky" for existing documents.

I am on the latest version.

Trashing the preferences, which might or might not work, is equivalent to Microsoft saying "Format the C: drive and then reinstall Windows and see if that helps."

If there is a guide to specifically which preferences will persist after trashing the Preferences file, and those that don't, that would be useful to know when one gets that advice. My last experience with trashing the Preferences file was worse than my current problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the preferences is NOTHING like having to reformat your drive. 

It's simple to do when starting InDesign and 99% of what is affected is the preferences and your preview checkboxes. Workspaces are not affected.  

Generally, the preferences only take a few minutes to update.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the details, @keithconover. I am afraid there is no guide for specific preferences files. I would like to know if this is happening with some specific documents or all? If yes, could you please package the document, including links, and share it with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link here or via DM.

Also, if you don't want to reset preferences, you may try creating a new user account and see if the same behavior is happening there as well or not.

I'll be looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Anshul. This is happening in multiple documents, in fact, as far as I can tell, all of them.

It would be nice to have a list of preferences I would have to jot down and then recreate when/if I trash the Preferences. I'm an emergency physician and right now with the aftermath of the Covid delta spike I don't have a lot of time.

Here is what I've documented for when I have to reinstall InDesign on a new computer, though I haven't had to do that for a few years:

• Indesign: (note that Adobe removed the syncing but you can export and import preferences, do that manually) (copied over by GoodSync once I fixed it to work properly)
    • turn off initial screen
    • To sync the user dictionaries: C:\Users\kcono\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Linguistics\UserDictionaries\Adobe Custom Dictionary\en_US (in GoodSync)
    • Edit > Preferences >
      • Interface > Auto-Collapse Iconic Panels changed mind, don’t like
      • UI Scaling > Scale, larger
      • Type> Drag and Drop Editing: Allow in Layout View
      • Units & Increments: Picas (default);
      • Spelling > Dynamic Spelling on
      • Story Editor: ? Adjust Story Editor font to 18 pt; leave Ltr Gothic Std.
      • File Handling: check Create links when placing text…
    • Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts >
      • Pick Keith CC2, should load all of the Style keyboard assignments below
      • Text and Tables > Clear All Overrides set to F12
    • Text Tool > Ribbon “Hamburger Menu Button” > Customize > Character > uncheck Character Kerning, Character Scaling (to allow paragraph styles to show)
    • No: this is set as Placing the file: Links panel > Link Options > enable Define Custom Style Mapping and then click Settings.
      • H1-4
      • FirstPara
      • SmallCaps
      • Body
      • Bullet
      • BlockQuote
      • BackMatter
      • Sidebar Heading
      • Sidebar Text
    • Open SAR Topics Handout Template.indd (to have styles showing) and check in the Styles Palette to make sure all of this was set by selecting Keith CC2 keyboard assignments, all Alt-Ctrl-Shift+# (where # is the number); AutoHotKey keith.ahk will then reassign my standard alt-keys to these- note that these are resident in the .indd file, not a keyboard definition, and need to be copied as a style into new documents, either by basing the document on the Handout Template.indd, or by copying over:
      • 1: Style H1 – Alt-1
      • 2: Style H2 – Alt-2
      • 3: Style H3 – Alt-3
      • 4: Style H4 – Alt-4
      • 5: Style FirstPara – Alt-P
      • 6: Style SmallCaps – Alt-S
      • 7: Style Body – Alt-N (“normal”)
      • 8: Style Bullet – Alt-B
      • 9: Style BlockQuote – Alt-Q
      • 0: Style BackMatter – Alt-G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming that. As it is happening with multiple documents, I would again suggest you reset your preferences, and there is no list of settings that can be pinpointed. You may close all Adobe applications and manually reset InDesign preferences by renaming the folders from the following locations:
C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Adobe
Rename Adobe InDesign & com.adobe.InDesign to Adobe InDesign.old & com.adobe.InDesign.old respecively.
Launch InDesign from the Creative Cloud Desktop app and check if that resolves the issue.

Note: Renaming these folders will not be deleted your preferences. By doing this next time you launch InDesign, it will create new preferences folders in place of the renamed folders. You can always get back to your old preferences by closing InDesign, deleting the new preferences folder, and reverting the renames folder to their original names. This way, you can check does the issue is getting resolved or not.

I hope it helps!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, Keith, thank you for your work serving your community. I doubt you get to hear that enough, and these days, I think you need to hear it as often as possible. 🙏🏼

Here's a thought on preferences: when you trash them, you basically have a brand new installation of InDesign. If you can set aside some time, you can rebuild them to you liking, and then move the files and folders to a backup folder. That way, when they become corrupt—and they do, over time—you can simply replace the files/folders with the one from the backup and not have to start over, again. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb, but compared with your expertise and contributions, I'm a total novice. Once the crush in the Emergency Department from the Delta spike is over, and I have time to do it, I'll trash my preferences and recreate them and save a backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Keith,

yes, backup the whole Version 17.0 folder after you did your settings!

In case you have to trash it, exchange it after deleting it with your backup Version 17.0 folder.

Where Version 17.0 is the folder for InDesign 2022. If you have older versions installed as well, also do backups for them like Version 16.0, Version 15.0 and so on…

That gives you back 80% to 90% of your settings you originally did:

All changes in the UI with customized workspaces and menu settings.

It will not give you back your linguistic preferences or saved custom page sizes and custom keyboard shortcut settings you saved.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines