• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sections, how to export sections into individual pdf???

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have doc with 20 sections with some section prefix.

How to export this section into 20 individual pdfs, if possible, with section prefix as name of new pdf?

thanks

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure that would require a script. You can now separate into individual pages in the File > Export > PDF (Print) dialog but not as you specify. You might ask in InDesign Scripting:

InDesign Scripting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to InDesign Scripting​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have you found an answer?

Best,

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can be done with my http://www.id-extras.com/products/extract-pages

(a commercial product).

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this free script. I think it has what you need, at least close to it. Sections will be numbers, not actual section names (so they sort correctly). Let me know if it works. If not, I could tweak for actual section names, if it is a must.

https://www.marspremedia.com/software/indesign/pdf-export-single-pages

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kajzica,

you could iterate over all sections in your document and calculate the pageRange for the PDF export.

here is the key code snippet:

var curPageNameWithPrefix = getPageNameWithPrefix(curPage);

app.pdfExportPreferences.pageRange = curPageNameWithPrefix;           

app.activeDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, curPDFfile, false, curPDFJobOptions);

You may also need the property documentOffset:

firstPageIndex = curSection.pageStart.documentOffset;

Thanks Stefan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a pretty old thread but I had the same question in 2022. My solution: select all the pages/spreads in the section you wish to export. (Pages can be out of sequence too if you use the CMD key to select.) Then right click and select > Print Spreads. In the resulting dialog box, set the Printer as "Postscript File" and then click Save. This will create a postscript file that you can open in Acrobat or Preview and then save again as a PDF. It sounds more complicated than it is. Seems the best option until Adobe decides to fix this odd bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If none of the scripts mentioned earlier in thread work, you can try this (free) one:

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/pdf_individuals.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, is there any chance that you have a script not for a book, but for a regular InDesign file divided into sections? Because when I put my file with sections into a book and run your script, it creates several pdf files (for example, 3 out of 7) and crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't have a script that deals with single files, and there's no need for it. The script should work just fine when you put your document in a book file. Are you sure that your file is ok? To confirm that you can export a single file section-by-section when it's the only file in a book, create a small document with two sections, stick it in a book file, and run the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select them in the page panel, right mouse click and in the context menu you can export selected spreads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone else see this feature? Because it doesn't show in my version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download the pdf_individuals.txt file attached below and change the txt extention to jsx (pdf_individuals.jsx), then copy to your Indesign script panel folder to install. This script was originally downloaded from https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/pdf_individuals.html 

You can export sections named by the prefix, marker, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for mentioning the script. But please include a link to the script rather than posting the script itself. Scripts are updated from time to time. Posted scripts are frozen.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines