Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

selection pointers are not working

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE INDD V 17.01

I'm a new user and was working along happily a few weeks ago, now everything I try - I cannot get the selection tools to work. I tried the delete preference files on opening - NADA

Frustrating beyond belief. Not worth the monthly fee, if I cannot even use the program - I'm a writer and finance columnist. 

The only thing to do now is redownload the program. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

And how much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?

Try resetting the InDesign preferences:

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialogue appears, asking you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign? OS?

What do you mean the pointers don't work, exactly? We need real information to be able to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your prompt reply!

Adobe InDesign 17.01, latest version as of Jan 29 2022

Specifically, the selection tool and the direct selection tool just freeze up - no matter how or when I click on them to then highlight target a page, etc. nothing happens. 

It seems to be intermittent, happened several times over last month. Generally, I just closed the program, and upon reopening, they worked, but not this time.  I planned to write directly in ID, as it is faster, formatting, etc. - but not this time.....so disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to know your OS, and if Mac your processor chip.

If Mac, try tuning off GPU performance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tku all, so very kind of you

Macos 12.1

32 GB

480+ HD storage

Have not tried GPU performance? 

UI scaling. small

Anchor points handle bounding box also small

I'm allowed using on two computers not simultaneously.  Got the MacPro - working

Now trying to same with iMac 2019 - will see what happens. Thanks again for all the help. mm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we need one of the Mac users to chime in -- they can do a better job than I with the latest quirks.

GPU Performance is an option in the ID prefs on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WELL, SUPPORT Community,

I did exactly the following:

Deleted ID from both MacPro and iMac - as listed above.

Reinstalled ID on both - and tried each application after installation in turn. In other words, used on computer, then logged out of ID and then used the other computer, picking up the ID file I was working on from iCloud. 

Application is working fine, selector tools, both are working and have not seen any other problems. Thank you all for coming to my rescue. mhm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, have you set UI Scaling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?

Try resetting the InDesign preferences:

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialogue appears, asking you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Martha Myron:

In addition to deleting preferences on opening, as Derek described, you can go further and rebuild cache/preferences. Try working through to the end of this post.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-resetting-preferences-and-deleting-the-cache/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines