• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selection tool changes to text tool

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this just happened: i copied some text into a document. when i grabbed the selection tool to move the text, the tool changed to the text tool and gave me a cursor. i try moving the box of text around and keeps jumping to the text tool. this just started happening this week after Indesign CC updated as of May 2022. i've reset preferences already. thanks! Sue

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Try to grap the frame, not the text. The described behaviour is so as it should be since many versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not looking over your shoulder to be sure, but I suspect you're first clicking on the text frame to select it, then quickly clicking again to select/move the text frame.

It's maddening, but it's normal behaviour for InDesign. Double-clicking inside a text frame causes the tool transformation you describe to easily edit/transform type inside the text frame. If you click once to select the frame, wait just a beat to "clear" the chance of double-clicking, then hold down the mouse button to move the text frame I suspect you'll be able to move the text frame with your Arrow/Selection tool like you'd otherwise expect.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Randy

i'm grabbing the selection tool first then the text box. it might let me drag the box all over the page then will suddenly switch to the type tool. i'm at work right now with an older version of Indesign and its not happening here. .i will try your suggestion when i get home, though. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right. When you click the mouse button down twice, it reads the transformation of "double-clicking" when you release the mouse. It's not the time between the second button stroke down and up that causes the issue; it's the time between the first cycle and the start of the second. Either waiting a beat as I suggested, or taking Willi's suggestion below, will get you past your problem.

I can't remember when InDesign CC first incorporated this feature. It was some time ago, but it has been around for quite a while. Lots of folks complained when it first was implemented, but if you can condition yourself to the discipline and use it to full advantage it'll speed your workflow dramatically.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to grap the frame, not the text. The described behaviour is so as it should be since many versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did and it works, but historically i've always been able to select any part of the text box with the selection tool and move the box around. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you will see this since you had this question over a year ago, but I'm hoping you do and that you found a solution since I'm suddently having the same issue you stated. The selection tool seems to automatically switch to text without me choosing it to and it's driving me bonkers. Even grouped objects are acting up unless I specifically grab the group by the frame.  Thanks for any input, even if it's still driving you mad, lol. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue! I've been working with INDD for years and never had this happening. Suddenly when I double-click the textbox it instantly wants to open up another one.  :I 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Im currently having this issue. Is it a bug that they can fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines