• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set up a copy of a book side by side

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not too familiar with Indesign but I would like to know if it is possible to lay out two copies of a book side by side so when the 8.5 x 11 paper is cut in half  I have two copies of an 8.5 x 5.5 book.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Set up your 156 page book as a 5.5 x 8.5 file (InDesign file or pdf), create a new InDesign file at 11 x 8.5, add the needed pages from the pages panel, place each page in the top left corner, then step & repeat each page, export to a new pdf.

A much simpler method is to use a (free) script to place multiple pages:

https://creativepro.com/zanelli-releases-multipageimporter-for-importing-both-pdf-and-indd-files/

If you search this forum, you can easily learn how to use it, so I won't give you ste

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you could set up the pages as such. 

How many pages in all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 156 pages.

[Edit to remove link]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're going to print this on a desktop printer, I think you're going to get in trouble with the imposition, registration and trimming, not to mention the binding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There would be no imposition. Page 2 would follow page 1 and so forth. I
would like two copies of page 1 on a sheet followed by two copies of page
2, etc. My outside and inside margins would be set at 1". I don't think
imposition and registration should be a problem. If I can set it up that
way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Print dialog has 1x2 Thumbnails, but I’m not sure if the 5.5" x 8.5" page will print at 100%

Screen Shot 14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set up your 156 page book as a 5.5 x 8.5 file (InDesign file or pdf), create a new InDesign file at 11 x 8.5, add the needed pages from the pages panel, place each page in the top left corner, then step & repeat each page, export to a new pdf.

A much simpler method is to use a (free) script to place multiple pages:

https://creativepro.com/zanelli-releases-multipageimporter-for-importing-both-pdf-and-indd-files/

If you search this forum, you can easily learn how to use it, so I won't give you step-by-step instructions here, but after installing the script, you would run the script to place all pages in the top left corner, then run the script again to place all pages offset 5.5" to the right, creating two-up pages, save and export to a new pdf.

Two up book.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you so much for your kind help. That works perfect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines