• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set up sequentially repeated numbers in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay gang, I have searched high and low, Google, Adobe, YouTube, Tutorials and everywhere I can imagine and now it's time to ask the community.  I've asked the question in a variety of ways as we all know sometimes it's how you word things when searching but I'm spent.

I have one large document that uses the same set of step numbers repeatedly, 1 through 5, in 35 languages. When I tried to set it up as a style sheet for all using Bullets and Numbering as one level applied each time, it doesn't work. Then I tried multi levels which I'm not as adept at but still not working. The text is a thread to make it easier for fit but I can't get it to repeat the numbers. Some fonts are different due to the languages and you can address that in Bullets and Numbering but surely there's a way to do this in ID isn't there? Or do I need to bite the bullet and make each set of translated text a separate thread because I know it works that way? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For many reasons, I think the only sensible way to handle this is as 35 separate stories, each with its own set of numbered list styles.

I suppose an elaborate method could be created to handle all of this as one doc/one style list, but unless this project is going to be repeated a number of times, the slightly brute-force method will get to the end result with fewer problems.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my fear! I'll see if anyone else has an answer but I think deep down I realized this. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I learned long ago that there's a place for elegant solutions (now encapsulated in things like scripts, automation, embedded and GREP styles, and so forth)... and there's a place to just spend less time getting the job done and moving on. 🙂

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL Oh you got that right for sure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines