• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Setting default PDF preset with security options.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been looking for the answer to this for quite sometime and have yet to find an answer with the exception of "it can't be done". I am a production artist and I need to protect customer proofs so they can't just take my art and go to another vendor. Yes, I know that there are work arounds to nullify the Adobe Acrobat security options, but most people (customers) don't know how to do that and will not take the time to figure it out.

Everytime I generate a PDF from InDesign, I have to click the security tab, edit permissions settings and set and confirm password. It gets tedious and sometimes I am in a hurry and forget to do it. I want to be able to just hit the export buttom, confirm the password and go on.

Why is this not easily done in InDesign? 

TOPICS
Feature request , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if protected there's nothing stopping them going to another vendor that removes password and prints anyway, unscrupulous but it happens. 

Have you considered share for review? Or publish online without a PDF download option?

Or using a file sharing system like Hightail, I think you can password protect files.

https://hightail.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024661693-New-Secure-Features-for-Sharing-Files

PDF security is a good option - but if you're forgetting to add it then maybe find more secure ways to share your files. 

I don't have InDesign here to try a few things, but if there's a way maybe someone can share, as I can't try right now.

Just a few random thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can't be done out of the box.

You can achieve it by custom scripting. OR you can use Output Factory (a paid product), where PDF security options can be saved with output settings and then reused automatically (disclosure: I'm the developer): https://zevrix.com/outputfactory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because something like this should NOT be easy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As already mentioned, the PDF's "Document Restrictions" are easy to override, unlike the opening password but that's not what you want.

In your case, a good solution would be a digital signature, which makes the document uneditable and unforgeable.

Capture_2312080031.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines