• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Share for Review link no longer attached to actual INDD file.

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this feature is buggy, but sometimes I find that after I use the Share for Review and send the link to clients, the file is on my published CC files and the link is good, but it stops syncing up with my InDesign file. Is there a way to relink the uploaded reviewing file to my InDesign file? I don't want to lose the comments from clients and want to keep that same link. Surely there's a way to relink my existing InDesign file to the existing shared file without disturbing the link? I also notice that sometimes a new file takes on an old file's sharing permissions. There needs to be some sort of explanation on how to copy/create new files in regards to the sharing permissions. 

TOPICS
Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lorena said: "Is there a way to relink the uploaded reviewing file to my InDesign file?"

No.

There is one important rule when working with Share for Review:
Never use "Save As".

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear there isn't a way to relink the file. 

Besides the "Save As" there seem to be other things to be careful with too. I've never used the Save As, but if you make a duplicate of the .indd file on your computer then rename that new file there are sometime issues with which file keeps the shared link. It's usually the old file but it makes it risky to keep old versions of files when making multiple rounds of edits with clients. 

Also, when you package a file up it obviously makes a duplicate of the indd file. It's tricky which one keeps the link.

In this most recent instance, I made a duplicate of the file from my folder, renamed it, then opened that new file and created a new "Share for Review" link. But I didn't make any actual edits to the file and thus maybe didn't save and now this indesign file is saying it's shared with an old review link. So the Shared for Review link has no Indesign file attached to it. 

Ok, update. I closed and reopened and it fixed itself. Sigh.

Also, I've noticed that sometimes it will let you make edits to file as normal, but then it won't let you save the file (obviously a bug). This only happens with shared files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar issues with my share for review, but I wanted to let you know how I handle the client updates and version history. I use two different methods to backup and save the previous versions. I belive that having extra backups are always a good thing! 😉

• First, I use either Google Drive or Dropbox to save and keep the files so I can access (typically up to 100 and/or 30 days) previous versions. 
  • Secondly, I create a second InDesign file (named Filename-Previous Versions) and use the move pages function and always put them at the end of the document to copy the pages before I edit. This way, I am backing up the previous editable versions in order but my main file does not get messed up, and the share for review link stays the same.

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Something else I just discovered is that if you rename the file, you'll also lose attachement to the original link. You'll have the previous review link in your link management system, but it would be nice to have the option to relink to the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines