Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sharing content across multiple indesign files

Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm looking for input on how to make my files more efficient. I have 4 catalogs I'm working on side by side. 10 of the pages are 99% the same across all 4 files (the page headline style is the only difference). I'm trying to find a way to make it so one file (of those 10 pages) is linked to all documents, to streamline the process for translation (it only needs to be translated one time) and also just streamline any updates along the way.

A few clarifying comments.

• Conditional text is used to create versions for different regions
  • The 10 pages are at a different location in each catalog, so the page numbers need to be able to update to match the catalog (I think this can be done with books, just not sure how it works for multiple books to share the same INDD link)

If there is a good solution I'd love to be able to expand this to additional portions of the catalog. Example, there are many other pages where 70% of the content is the same. It would be great if that could be managed in one file that populates into the 4 catalogs (but still allows for conditional text to be turned on and off).

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can linke the identical content to InCopy files. The styles have to have the same name regardless of their appearance in any document. Even if the style is defined in InCopy different, the style definition of the host InDesign document is applied to the text.

1. Go the the story you want to share withe more documents.
  2. It must be styled with Paragrph and Character Styles, no manually styled text.
  3. Edit (Or Context menu) > InCopy > Export to InCopy
  4. Place it in that other document.
  5. You find the link in the link panel as you would do with an image, but here with a text (or also with an image).

To edit later, you have to check it out via the InCopy Menu (or edit in InCopy directly). Save and check in. When you open the next time another document with that InCopy Content you will be asked if you want to update changed links, similiar to the questions with an image.

The style definition can be different in every InDesign document as long as the styles have exactly the very same name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Will I be able to turn the conditional text on and off from within the InDesign file, or will I have to go to InCopy every time I want to change conditions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines