Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sharing Files

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone, 

I've been asked to share InDesign files with a customer who is using a windows computer (I'm using a mac) - i've been told if the windows computer opens the InDesign documents, this may effect the artwork. (The customer is to make content changes and export as pdf - they will not be editing layout their end) Is this true? / how do i get arround it? 

Any help is good help. 

TOPICS
Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

The best way to share a file with another person is to use File > Package. This collects all of the assets (images and fonts) and puts everything they need into a single, new folder. Hand off the new folder and they will have everything they need.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/indesign-package-files-for-handoff.html 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't. Biggest problem is usually font sets. Limiting yourself to cross-platform OTF fonts that both of you have will make that irrelevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way to share a file with another person is to use File > Package. This collects all of the assets (images and fonts) and puts everything they need into a single, new folder. Hand off the new folder and they will have everything they need.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/indesign-package-files-for-handoff.html 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb, I was just hoping that Creative Cloud might be a quick way to integrate moving between adobe programs. It is not as far as I can see as I simply cannot access the files in Indesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who comes up with this nonsense? As mentioned the only potential issue is fonts. The only way artwork might change would be if you opened the file in a different version of InDesign. Platform is irrelevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not nonsene Bob!! It is just bad UI bad design, loads of hype, hype hype....You would image that it would be a bit more integrated. There is no option to open a file once shared from photoshop in Indesign via creative cloud as far as I can see. Perhaps for you it is easy as you are a pro. I am just a casual user and expect stuff to work. Most of the apple stuff just works I guess that is why people like it. Adobe have a long way to go to improve their user experience I can tell you that for free!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you're a casual user trying to work with professional tools with no training? I can understand the frustration, but this stuff takes dedication to learn. If you don't want to put in the time, you're going to be in for a world of pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting some training now and working through Youtube resources etc...Training options in the West of Ireland and limited and locals are all busy doing their own work. I have found some very good you tube training videos... What do you suggest is the best program to learn these two programs? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Small project sample below. Drawing over photo in procreate. Air drop to Imac...Add some layers in photoshop, play around with blending modes, copy and pasting, rotating layers. Export to indesign add text and logo. Added some shading with Indesign. It is a jpg for a apple podcast which has to be 3000 px by 3000 px otherwise will not work....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LinkedIn Learning. Any courses by David Blatner or AnneMarie Concepcion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines