• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sharing Paragraph and Character Styles Across Multiple Documents

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For years I have been trying to figure out how to share a single set of Character and Paragraph Styles across multiple documents/templates. For our publications, we use two different templates for two different publications. The character and paragraph styles are identical in both of these two templates. But, as it stands, every time I tweak one or the two templates, I then have to remember to open the other one and apply the same tweak to both templates. Is there not a way to have a third file of some kind which holds all the styles and link it to the two templates? Thanks for your feedback!

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put them into a book file - then you can choose one to be the Sync file - and it will update them.

https://www.bookdesignmadesimple.com/using-the-book-feature-in-indesign/#:~:text=Select%20all%20the%....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or just open the other template and choose Load Styles from one of the Style menus...

There is no way I'm aware of that will automatically update the styles without your intervention, which to my mind is a good thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Doing a book or using Load Styles are good solutions.

If you can drop both templates in a Book, that will come closets to what you want to do.

But if that's not practical for whatever reason,  to expand a bit on Peter's reply, the trick is to keep track of which file has the changed style. When I've had this come up in projects, I've tried to keep one file as the "master" template, but this may not be possible in your workflow. Loading styles is an extra step, but a simple one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines