Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shift key not constraining proportions in Indesign; unable to reset preferences

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've seen other posts in the forum about the shift key no longer working to constrain proportions in Indesign.

I'm having this problem, and I have also tried following the steps to reset Indesign's preferences (Shift+Option+Command+Control while opening Indesign) as is suggested as a fix, but the option to delete preference files is nowhere to be seen. 

I don't have Webroot installed on my computer. I'm on macOS, running Mojave 10.14.5, and my version of Indesign is up to date.

Any help would be much appreciated as it's taking me ages to get work done without being able to constrain proportions with the shift key!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Thanks so much for the tip - a restart and opening InDesign first seems to have fixed the problem with the shift key shortcuts.

But seriously Adobe - how is this even a bug?!?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem after upgrading to v.15.11 today. The shift key shortcuts aren't working properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried rebooting the computer and opening inDesign first before any other program, and the shift key seems to be working again so maybe try that?

Would love to see an explanation from Adobe for why this is happening in the first place though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the tip - a restart and opening InDesign first seems to have fixed the problem with the shift key shortcuts.

But seriously Adobe - how is this even a bug?!?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been having this problem on and off for a year. I cannot believe after using the shift key for the last 30 years (!) to constrain proportions, draw a perfect circle or square, or draw a straight line, that Adobe has A.) managed to mess this up, and B.) not fixed a bug that everyone can see has been a problem since 2014 or earlier. I guess this is why we pay our monthly subscription fee, year in, year out, for these pleasures. I have not foudn a decent fix and would like a response from Adobe here and now to address this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines