Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Show me all protected fonts

Engaged ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. 

It would be helpful if InDesign could show which character sets are protected. According to the motto "Don't make me think".
Currently you have to check each character set manually. That is a bit tedious. See screenshot.

Or is there a faster way?

– Jens.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've identified fonts in Adobe Fonts. You want a lock. Why? In what specific sense do you mean "protected"?

(The usual meaning for a font would apply to font licensing rights, such as not being available for PDF embedding. I think you mean something different). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to know, which (Adobe) fonts will not be exported by "Datei > Verpacken" (File > Packing (?)). Where I gat the .indd, .idml and all images plus non-protected fonts. When I know, which font is protected, I can subsitute these by OFL fonts before exporting.

I think, that place in the screenshot would be a cool place to show which font is protected/locked by Adobe.

Get the picture?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that English is not your first language but "locked" is the wrong word to use. That indicates that would not be useable in at least some situations. That is not the case.

Adobe Fonts are embeddable and licensed for any output that InDesign supports. The only "restriction" is that they won't be packaged. There is no reason to package them anyway. If you're sending the file somewhere the recipient would need a Creative Cloud subscription, too, and that would include the access to Adobe Fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite right 🙂

When you export .idml you can open it with QuarkXPress as well. And than are all Adobe Fonts missing.

See my German Tutorial about it: http://www.computergrafik-know-how.de/quarkxpress-oeffnet-indesign-datei/

The other way is using .pdf, but than you will get other problems, because in pdf you will get often one textframe for each line of text. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When you export .idml you can open it with QuarkXPress as well. And than are all Adobe Fonts missing."

Not when Creative Cloud is installed on the same machine and the fonts are activated.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. But I don't think, that not many people will have InDesign AND QuarkXPress on there computers. 

I have and use both. 🙂 

Anyway, thanks for the chat. I love the adobe forum and support. You are one of the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
If you're sending an InDesign file to a QXP user you're going to have bigger issues than a missing font and FWIW, I don't know that many Quark users but those that I do know also use Creative Cloud applications and have access to those fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're mostly right, Bob, but there is a case for knowing which fonts wont be packaged for archiving. Seems to me there is some history of Adobe dropping some fonts from the Cloud which could be a problem for someone opeing the file in the future. Is it fatal? No, since one could still do a font substitution at that time, but I sure wouldn't want to trust a brand-critical font to be cloud-based.

Might I suggest a cloud icon instead of a lock?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And icon of some sort would be okay, but if those fonts are being used, you'd either would have chosen them yourself or been alerted to the fact that they were missing and needed to be activated. It really shouldn't be a mystery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, yes, I do agree that a tabular representation of the Information of every used font would be helpful. I would not use a lock icon. Just the written information. And a sort function would be cool as well.

Just like we can customize the Links panel with tabular info about "Effective PPI" and other properties of an image.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines