Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

single character in text box crashes InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign 2021, Big Sur 11.4, Font Explorer Pro 7.2.6

I have a text box that contains a single character (the letter "a"). When I try to change the character, delete it, or delete the text box that contains it, InDesign flat out crashes, disappears. I can reopen the document to it's last saved state with no problems and re-save and continue working. It's a 60-page magazine so re-doing it in a new document is not an option. I can live with the text box stayting there forever but it's bugging me.

There used to be a paragraph in there but I narrowed the problem down to this one character.

Any advice?

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Bizarre, lol. Have you tried to resave the document (save as a copy)? Save as an IDML? Exit all the way out of InDesign and Creative Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a stand-alone text box that isn't linked to anything, and you can move the box around on the page or off the board, but you can't delete it without crashing ID? And can you select it directly in the layers panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. Exactly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just that one character. I deleted the characters preceding it one-by-one, and backspaced the characters after it one-by-one to narrow it down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can change the font to anything but if I switch it to uppercase, crashola.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bizarre, lol. Have you tried to resave the document (save as a copy)? Save as an IDML? Exit all the way out of InDesign and Creative Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. Shut down. Unplugged. etc. no go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH MY GOD. We have a winner!! I tried your idea of saving as an IDML file. It bloody worked. So happy. Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem.

A text with footnotes where the footnote numbering have somehow become corrupted. If I delete either any part of the text that contains a footnote number (or a text box with one or a page containing a text box with one, or any part of the text, boxes or pages containing the footnotes themselves) InDesign crashes.

I tried updating from InDesign 2021 ver. 16.1 to 16.2.1 and I tried saving it as an IDML file and opening it both in InDesign 2020 and 2021. It crashes every time. I can change the text, make it invisible for instance by making it white, or make it any size I want, move it off the pasteboard and so on and so on. But I cannot delete it. Or I can delete it, but then InDesign crashes and when I open the file again, text is still there.

I have no idea what to do. This is concerning 12 pages of a 340-page publication that is due tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried changing the footnote options in some way? Making them endnotes perhaps? Changing the formatting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you create a new page, move everything but the offending text frame to the new page and then delete the bad page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it. Tried adding a linked frame moving the character to the new frame, deleting the old one then deleting teh one with the character in it. Nothing. It's completely crazy 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't delete a text box on my TOC page without crashing. I saved the document out as a idml and closed Indesign, reopened the file, deleted the text box and saved as a indd file, no further issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. 

I was able to isolate the caracter causing the crash but impossible to delete it, to delete the text block or to delete the page where the text block is located.

The solution to export to an idml file doesn't work for me because the process of exportation is blocked at 70%.

Any advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you copy all of the content except the offending frame to a new document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is possible. I was able to copy all the content except the offending frame into a new doc.

But I noticed some differences after the copy (modified styles,...). Unfortunately, the copied content is not the same as the original.

As I don't want to have to check and edit the layout of my whole 72-page document again..., I think I'll copy all the content of the offending frame - except for the character that crashes - into a new frame in the same document. Then I'll isolate the offending frame with the crashing character and make it invisible for printing.

Aware that this is not a very clean solution, I hope that the rest of the document will not have any further problems.

What do you think? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If styles are changing it's likely that you've based at least some of them on [Basic Paragraph] and that definition was edited in the old file. This is the main reason most of the experienced users here recommend against ever using or basing anything on [Basic Paragraph].

You should be able to fix any style definition problems by clicking the flyout menu in either the Paragraph Styles or Character Styles panel and choosing Load All Text Styles..., choose the old doc as the source, and check the box to use incoming styles in case of conflict.

You will be far better off working with a new doc than one that has already shown corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines