• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow down switching to another open document with ID 15.1.1 on Windows 10

Engaged ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently upgraded my Windows 10  system to ID 15.1.1. I commonly have two (or more) documents open and need to switch between them. I normally use Alt-Tab, but sometimes switch by clicking on the other application's tab. Either way, it seems to lock up ID temporarily. If I wait (30-60) seconds, it does make the switch, but this was instantaneous in previous versions and is really slowing my workflow. Any idea how to get this fixed?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

This problem is often caused by missing fonts in the document causing the delay.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a document fonts folder for either of this documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, am not. I only use the Windows font directory. And no font manager or other add-ons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it occur with all documents, or just specific ones?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't answer immediately as I wasn't sure. Now I see it is specific documents. I have 3 documents from a previous version which are similar (use same fonts). Two are almost all text, little or no graphics and one is almost all graphics, little text. The 2 documents that are mainly text are the ones that are the problem. The one that is mainly graphics (and it is a much larger, bulkier pages with many more pages than the others) is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We're currently investigating this. I would request if you could upvote this issue here (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/40462342-indesign-incre...) and stay tuned for updates. 

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact same issue too -  has there been any resolution. I need to naviagate between multiple documents and its very frustrating to have to wait so long for the document to switch. This was never an issue for me until about a month ago. 

Any resolutions??? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

is there already a solution for this issue? 

I'm having the same problem with InDesign 2022 running on MacBook Pro with MacOS Catalina.

Thank you for a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I DID find a solution to this. 

When we use InDesign, it creates a cache of everything we do in the application. As time goes on, the memory grows and ultimately slows us down. We can avoid this by clearing our cache when we start to notice a delay.
You can delete the replaceable InDesign SaveData by holding down the following keys, Windows: Shift+Ctrl+Alt Mac OS: Shift+Control+Option+Command, while InDesign is launching. A box will appear asking if you want to delete your preference files. Click yes, and your cache will clear, allowing you to jump from document to document with no wait time. I now move quickly in and out of files and this little trick did not disrupt any of my defaults or fonts.MicrosoftTeams-image.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and unfortunately your solution didn't work for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That stinks! So sorry. It is strange it didn't work though, I shared it with my entire team at work and they all said it has worked wonderfully. I do have to do it again from time to time once the cache begins to fill up again. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Musstang ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Please try the suggestion shared here https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/slow-performance-indesign.html and let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me all the time and it doesn't matter if I update the docs. My job requires me to be in multiple ID files at once and I can't tell you the slow down this causes me every day. Have you found a way around it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This problem is often caused by missing fonts in the document causing the delay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines