• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow performance in InDesign v16.3.2 on Mac OS Big Sur v11.5.1 - Spinning Beach Ball

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To my great dissapointment and frustration InDesign has a very slow performance.

Every time I try to do any action/move/ absolutely anything the "beach ball" appears and stalls me for 5-10 seconds. 
So far I have tried, unistalling-installing the program, resetting prefereces changing color profiles and monitor settings and absolutely NOTHING works.

Please Adobe... find a solution!!!

Im running  InDesign 2021 (16.3.2) on Mac OS Big Sur (11.5.1) annoying slow performance

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help if you'd let us know what kind of a system you're using and what its specifications are, as well as what kind of documents you're working on when these delays are occurring.

There could be any of a number of causes for your issues. Knowing what you're doing, and what kind of system you're doing it with, will help us determine how we may be able to help you.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing just the opposite on my new iMac M1. InDesign launches in three seconds. Amazing. I'm curious to follow this thread, nonetheless, as ID on my late 2017 iMac (Intel) is a bit of a dog these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Randy. We need more information about your system.

I'm using the same version of Big Sur as you and the same version of InDesign. I have a 2016 MacBook Pro (specs attached). InDesign launches in 6 seconds and never get "beach balls".

MySpecs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 9.18.55 AM.png

 These are my systems requirments... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That helps a lot. Thanks for getting back with us. What kind of work are you doing with InDesign?

We're happy to help as we can.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for quick response... Its Brochures im designing. From single to multiple pages. All saved in system HDD. No external links. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried this troubleshooting information?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/reset-indesign-preferences-and-other-troubleshooting/m-p/119...

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, 

Thank you for your response. I have already tried most of the things in list with no results unfortunately

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, this is great! Very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, that list is a compilation from all of you folks long-time on the forum. Thank you!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble you are facing. I understand your frustration. Could you please share a few more details:

• Does InDesign slow down while working on a specific document? If yes, could you please share that document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • Where are you saving the files (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System / External HDD)?
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, or web extensions installed recently.
  • Are you using TimeMachine? If yes, please try disabling it as multiple users have reported that TimeMachine has slowed down some apps while they were working.
  • Does turning off Automatic Graphics Switching from Macbook settings (Both Battery and Power adapter) helps to resolve the issue? (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202043)

We are here to help, just need more info.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your response.. will try to answer in between your questions..

• Does InDesign slow down while working on a specific document? If yes, could you please share that document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
    InDesign slows down in any document. Old or new, small in file size or big, single page or multipage. Unfortunately i cannot upload the file due to GDPR restrictions.
  • Where are you saving the files (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System / External HDD)?
  • Generally all files are saved in system HDD. There are no links in network drives. Brochures include texts with either Adobe or Google fonts. 
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, or web extensions installed recently.
    It started about a month ago but back then i didnt pay much attention to it. Now that iam in high need to finish the project im with tied hands
  • Are you using TimeMachine? If yes, please try disabling it as multiple users have reported that TimeMachine has slowed down some apps while they were working.
    I have Time Machine on Synology Nas Server Drive, installed on June the 4th 2021. Will disable it and see how it goes.
  • Does turning off Automatic Graphics Switching from Macbook settings (Both Battery and Power adapter) helps to resolve the issue? (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202043)
    Im actually running an iMac with the system specs i attach bellow.

Once again thank you for your response. Will give you feedback on disabling Time Machine later on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Same problem here on my iMac. So it‘s not an macBook issue. 
  • it appears if I try to place eg. pictures, try to move placed graphics or logos, select new Fonts etc … moving or scaling a logo created with the latest AI, chrash sometimes AID as well. 
  • Placed Logos and Images are from internal or external USB-C drive (LaCie BigDock 8TB). Makes no difference
    Switch off Timemachine??? Are you sure, man? So switch off imac would solve this problem too (sry for the joke! but this not really an option cause it‘s saving my work)
  • No, it is not only if I work on a specific document. It's always. Even if I start the program it‘s slower than in the former versions. It‘s not just "a certain feeling" … 

I cleard all prefs and caches … I installed it completly new. Same story. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing the details.
Just following up, does turning off TimeMachine improves the performance of InDesign for you all? I would request you all to please try this out once if you haven't yet. If this doesn't improve the performance, you may try the suggestions shared on this page (https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behavior-of-indesign...) step by step and share your observations with us.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem!!! I tried a lot of things and I still can't work without frustration with that spinning rainbow ball between every tiny action!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this was mentioned or not.

Turn off Preflight in the Preflight panel. Preflight is constantly checking your document, which sometimes can bring everything to a halt. It can be maddening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above by @Jeff Witchel, ACI worked for you all? If not, please try the following and share your observation with us:

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi to all.

Sorry for my late response.

Unfortunately none of the above has worked. Therefore we run several tests with my IT Manager and got InDesign running normally by excuding my computer from firewall restrictions. So my question to Adobe is this: Are there any certain website addresses that Adobe In Design uses so we can excluded those from firewalling? If yes can you provide me them to me?

Thank you in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE.... 

My computer was set to have a certain IP address and tha IP adress was set to be excluded from firewall settings.
It worked well for a week.. and then InDesign started stalling me again. Why on earth is this happening?
Why software is running normally when my iMac is off the internet (ethernet or WiFi)? 
This is tottaly unbearable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of this failed to fix the problem for me also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the details, @George Del. As asked, here are some network endpoints (https://helpx.adobe.com/enterprise/kb/network-endpoints.html) which Adobe product used. You can share it with your IT team, try excluding all the Adobe processes and services from your firewall and let us know how it goes.

I will be looking forward to you response.

Reagrds, 
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @rfrad @MikaMaki @PRO64 @blukom,

Sorry about the trouble you all are facing. I would request to share the details asked above, which would help us assist you accordingly. (Share your system specs and file size as well)

Also, please confirm if you all have tried the following measures to overcome this issue:

1. Turn Off Preflight
      InDesign Preflight constantly monitors your document to see if there are any “preflight errors,” such as overset text. It should not affect much, but if you’re running into slowdowns, it’s worth try turning it off (Window > Output > Preflight > Deselect the checkbox).
    2. Disconnect from the Internet and work as you all usually do. (for just testing purposes)
      If this helps, you can exclude these network endpoints (https://helpx.adobe.com/enterprise/kb/network-endpoints.html), which Adobe product used from your firewall with the help of your IT team or anyone with some technical knowledge.
    3. Disable TimeMachine. (for just testing purposes)

Let us know how it goes.

I will be looking forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  Top of the line Intell 2020 Macbook pro and beachballs. Trying to get Apple to send me a new computer.  I can't do my work. I could with my 2013 iMac and CS4 but the OS is obsolete yet WAY faster.  It seems as we move forward with technology which is supposed to be faster, things either stay the same speed or even get slower.  This is not acceptible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines