• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some letters of some fonts are made bold in Indesign

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden, some letters of some fonts in the Montserrat family (from Google font project) appear much bolder than the others. This does only happen in Indesign 2024, nog in e.g. Illustrator or Photoshop. See the attached composition of screenshots. I've used this font for a long time with good results, so I guess the problem emerged with the recent update. I've tried cleaning the cache (Mac console: sudo atsutil databases –remove) and validated the font in Apple Fontbook. I have checked a few other font families, but these look fine on first sight.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from cc desktop bugs">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other users reported similar problems with Google fonts in InDesign 2024. As far as I understand, the only solution at this point is to go back to InDesign 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the opposite issue with the google font big shoulders display letters (but not the plus sign) looking thinner in indesign 2024. however, when i pdf the document, the pdf looks correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

update: the pdf trick didn't work for every font style. i found an opinion on another thread (i apologize, i don't remember where it was now) that it had to do with variable width fonts, which mine was, so i uninstalled the variable width ttf version and installed the static ttf version and that solved my problem since i didn't use the variable width attribute

>> the attached pdf shows the text formatted in indesign on the left with linked illustrator files that had identically formatted text on the right. i also didn't save an image of what it looked like in the indesign file, but it had bold and thin letters within the same word with the same formatting applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. The exported pdf doesn't not display these errors, thankfully, but the source file is wild.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also been having this problem with the Monsterrat family.. it only seems to happen with the newest update of Indesign.. as soon as I go back to the previous version it corrects itself. PDF's export as normal, however if you export as JPG, unfortunately the text shows some letters bold and some not... Adobe please fix this!!! ugh. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recall this problem from some short time ago, at least one or two revs of ID back, and specifically involving Montserrat, so it's not (necessarily) a 2024 issue.

IIRC, the fault was differing font files between system and ID's resources. Users experiencing this problem might look there. 

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue! Adobe please fix!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted the variable font file and replaced with the static, works normal now in indesign. Had issue with Outfit looking wild in indesign 2024 with bold and normal letters where it should all be bold...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it worked!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue with variable fonts has reportedly been fixed in version 19.1 which is rolling out now. Give it a week or so before it's available everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines