• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SPACE AFTER is recognized but SPACE BEFORE is not in my Paragraph Styles

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SPACE AFTER is recognized but SPACE BEFORE is not in my Paragraph Styles when I export my book to EPUB. Any idea why? I'm exporting from CS6 for Kindle. Attached is an example of the problem. Thank you!

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As suggested, use EPUB 3 (and reflowable, of course).

Looking at your styles in EXPORT TAGGING, it looks as if you have everything correct on the ID end. Sometimes there is variation between how margin and padding gets applied, but you have margin 12px on each and it should work.

It's all in the export process, I think. Use the more modern EPUB format and you should get the expected results.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks NitroPress! Sorry for the late reply. I'm still struggling with this problem. Exporting to EPUB 3 did not help. You advised me to look at my paragraph style in EXPORT TAGGING. What I discovered there is that I have lines for...

margin-left : 0px
margin-right : 0px
margin-bottom : 71px

But I don't have a line for...

margin-top : 71px

Do you know why? How I can add it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going on memory here, but I don't believe html spacing compounds each other. The larger of the two measurements applies. Search for "margin collapse".

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think margin collapse is at play here; that's a browser function and I don't think ID would 'pre collapse' margins in the export.

The only way I know of to control margins past the defaults of EPUB export is to modify the code of the actual EPUB. There are editors, but none I really recommend (as a tool or a practice). The serious solution is to edit the CSS of the EPUB file, which is a bit of a technical hurdle but a very, very useful skill to acquire. The short form, which might not be enough detail, is:

1. Export the EPUB.
  2. Open it using any ZIP archive tool.
  3. Find the CSS file within its structure.
  4. Find the styles for which you want space-above added.
  5. Add a line ' margin-top: 71px; ' or similar.
  6. Save the CSS file within the EPUB/archiver.

The more sophisticated way would be to write your own CSS file and include it at export time. If your knowledge plus resources on the web don't guide you to doing that on a useful level, my recent book goes into bare-metal detail on how to do deep style surgery on EPUBs (without any specialized/limiting tools).

Or ask more questions. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Calibre and Sigil are my go-to ePub editors. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Both work fine and may be the right solution here. BookBook, you're welcome to try both; I'd steer you to Sigil.

However, a major part of my manifesto is to move e-publishing (EPUB and Kindle) away from amateurish processes and tools, all of those that have grown up primarily to serve the unskilled author-publisher market. IMVHO, the whole field creates more problems than it solves, especially now that there are more professional tools and processes for creating e-publications. Clumsy, one-author freeware has had its day in this niche.

Even I used Calibre back in the day when it was the only tool around for managing EPUB, MOBI, KZW etc. — but it's time for all of us, pro and author/pub alike, to grow up and put away childish things. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines