• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Space bar not working in photoshop, illustrator & indesign

New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My space bar has stopped working in Photoshop, Illustrator and In design. When I'm typing and I try to put a space inbetween words, the save as box comes up to close the document. This is so frustration. I have closed down Chrome and any microsoft appliactions. I'v then restarted my macbook pro and nothing works. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? 

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

It sometimes doesn’t work in Microsoft excel, word and outlook.  

By @user3994711

Try a different keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try lauching your MAC in safe mode and see if the issue still persists? Does this happen in any other application as well apart from Adobe one's?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I’ll try that. It sometimes doesn’t work in Microsoft excel, word and outlook.  

Jackie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sometimes doesn’t work in Microsoft excel, word and outlook.  

By @user3994711

Try a different keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this get resolved? I am having the exact same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I experienced this issue for the first time today and found this thread while searching for a solution. My spacebar was no longer being recognized as a hotkey shortcut for the hand tool while I was using Adobe Illustrator on my Mac Pro.

I found an Adobe Support Community thread that mentioned software called Webroot, which I am not familiar with. I also read some comments about MAC users experiencing this while running a Microsoft app, such as PowerPoint, Word, or Excel.

While working in Illustrator, I opened a PowerPoint document to reference some slides. When I switched back to Illustrator is when I noticed the spacebar not responding. It was only when I read the comment about Microsoft products that gave me the idea to try and shut down PowerPoint. Low and behold, once I quit PowerPoint and went back in to Illustrator, my spacebar was back in action.

Regardless, this is only a workaround to this issue and NOT a fix. I was also unable to reproduce the issue a second time when running both PowerPoint and Illustrator again simultaneously. But the initial quitting of any MS apps running on my MAC seemed to resolve the issue for me, so maybe give this a try as a short-term, quick and dirty solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES I had that problem and figured out a solution:

Hold down shift/control/option/command while starting Indesign. A message with come up to clear something (I can't remember what) hit yes and the problem is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry typo - I mean "a message WILL come up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This did not work for me (latest versions 2023) - following your advice to hold those 3 keys down and launch the app,  it just reset the workspace defaults (Illustrator), wiped out my preferences, with no warning...  and the spacebar still does not work to switch to Hand tool. oops. 

I don't have any app called "Webroot" installed, either. 

Any other advice from fellow sufferers of this Hand/spacebar  problem? 

In the Finder, the only function of "spacebar" is to trigger Preview -- on my Mac laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines