• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Space Before Paragraph inconsistent even when using Paragraph Styles in InDesign 2021

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a document with several Paragraph Styles. Yet I am getting inconsistent spacing in between Headings and Paragraphs and I can't figure it out. 

Paragraph style: [No Paragraph Style] + next: [Same Style] + Lato + size: 9 pt + leading: 15 pt - ligatures + space after: 6 pt

Heading Style: SW Years + next: [Same Style] + size: 23 pt + leading: 14 pt + color: C=19 M=47 Y=60 K=8 + space before: 15 pt + space after: 10 pt

My space in between paragraphs and heading should be 6 pt + 15 pt, but I am getting anywhere from 21 pt to 33 pt in between bottom and top of lettering. Please help!

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Heading Style: SW Years + next: [Same Style] + size: 23 pt + leading: 14 pt + color: C=19 M=47 Y=60 K=8 + space before: 15 pt + space after: 10 pt

By @JediTink

Why do you have your 23 pt heading set with only 14 pts leading? That's a negative leading and can throw off InDesign's typesetting algorithyms for text composition.

Also check:

• Do you have align to grid set to on? (see Indents & Spacing in the paragraph styles definition)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning on the "Invisibles" (Type>Show Hidden Characters) to see if there is an extra paragraph return between the text paragraph and the heading that is showing more space between them. If so, delete the extra paragraph return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I did this, but there are no extra paragraph returns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @JediTink

Why do you have your 23 pt heading set with only 14 pts leading? That's a negative leading and can throw off InDesign's typesetting algorithyms for text composition.

Also check:

• Do you have align to grid set to on? (see Indents & Spacing in the paragraph styles definition)

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! It looks like it was the Leading. I changed that to "Auto", and then set "Space Before" to 0. Now everything is working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad we could help.

Best to you.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two different heading colors, so there is an override on one of the headings, or there is an added Character Style. Maybe the override is more than a color change? Does it happen if you clear all the style overrides and remove any applied character styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines