• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spacing options locked/greyed out...?

Contributor ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to InDesign 2019 and have an odd problem I never had before: every now and then the spacing option to align objects is suddenly locked:

Schermafbeelding 2018-12-14 om 10.39.48.png

Sometimes the option because editable again but at this moment I am stuck because I can't select and/or change either option (Afstand gebruiken)! I never ever had this in previous versions of InDesign where these options were ALWAYS available. Is this something new in ID 2019...? How can I unlock and use these options again? I need that option badly but can't use it at all right now!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I have a little goaround that works everytime and unlocks bugged greyed out Distribute spacing. But only if the checkbox is greyed out not the number itself. Maybe to try with both problems. 

1. Select any 2-3 objects and align them with Distribute spacing with the number thet is currently inputed.

2. Scroll on the next page and change the number value of the Distribute spacing

This should unlock the check box for Distribute spacing. So you can turn it on and off. 

Let me know if this helps! 

Best regards, mimi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2019 Mar 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I’m not losing my mind. That other folks are dealing with this is oddly reassuring.

Anyway, when I have multiple items selected, then click one of them while holding down command... sometimes the spacing option becomes selectable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its looking for a master item to measure from ( A bit like Illustrator in some ways) Select items, then Apple click another (this becomes the Master to align too) item and all becomes clear and selectable again. This way you can align from a certain object, not just the top item as an example .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, I was having this same trouble but if I select all my items and then click on the group again to wear the thick blue line forms - THEN the option to do a measured space (i wanted 0.0 in.) works. I don't know if it is the way it is supposed to work but I don't know what the purpose/significance of the thick blue line is either. I hope this helps you folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bob_hopfner_az  wrote

…but I don't know what the purpose/significance of the thick blue line is either…

Hi Bob,

I think, you are seeing the Key Object.

You can define a key object in your range of selected objects.

Just click into it. Frame edges will show a thicker line.

Some screenshots to illustrate this below.

Align to Selection. No key object visible and set.

AlignToSelection-1.png

Change that to Align to Key Object:

AlignToKeyObject-1.png

Just click a different object in your selection to change the key object:

AlignToKeyObject-2.png

Example for Distribute Vertically with a distance from object to object of 4 mm using Align to Key Object:

DistributeVertically-Result.PNG

The key object did not move, all other objects moved according to Distribute Vertically.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same problem- but in Illustrator 2020 rather than Indesign 2019. I've noticed it with the distribute spacing tool and have just been ignoring it and working around it- but today I realized the issue was occurring with the pattern tool as well, which is causing real problems! I'm just adding a comment to this thread since it seems to be a persistent bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines