Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Span Columns Not Working

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, InDesigners...

Trying to get a headline to span columns (something I've done hundreds of times) and I can get the dialog box to pop up and the drop down to, well, drop down. But I can't select anything other than Single Column. Running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3, InDesign 13.0.1.

Help me Tom Cruise!

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Without examining the file, I can only guess, but the first thing to try would be to export it to IDML and then open that file and try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a multi-column text frame?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Bob - yes. One 2-column text frame. In fact, this edition of our newsletter was picked up from the last issue, where we had the exact same text frames and span columns was working!

\I also tried creating a brand new document with one page, one text box and new placeholder text. Same result...

Strange, indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without examining the file, I can only guess, but the first thing to try would be to export it to IDML and then open that file and try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Bob - I feel like I called TelaDoc, where I just need to describe my symptoms and the doc can diagnose me. It worked! Thanks so much for your quick reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I’m using a multi-column text frame, and my headline paragraph won’t span the columns.

When I try to use File › Export to IDML, InDesign segmentation faults (SIGSEGV).

InDesign 2021 16.3.2.151 (16320) on macOS 11.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines