• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Split Document (EPUB only) not holding after export

Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Split Document (EPUB only) selected and it's not holding when split document based on paragraph style export tags is selected.

Anythoughts on why?

TOPICS
EPUB , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Thanks everyone. I think the probem was this was a older InDesign file. I saved the as idml, then re saved them as current InDesign files. After that I used my original settings and the document exported the way I would have expected it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean. Is this a Reflowable ePub or a FXL ePub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corect this is a reflowable epub

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean "split document"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 9.24.17 AM.pngThScreen Shot 2022-06-21 at 9.24.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 9.24.59 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part Review, Part 2 and the Articles should all be at the top of new pages

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set in your Paragraph Style for Part Review heading to start on a new page.

Screenshot 2022-06-21 at 15.30.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is this drop down menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned, in the Paragraph Styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked there and do not see it.Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 9.50.13 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Producing Reflowable ePubs is not intuative. I suggest you take one of the excellent online tutorials byAnne-Marie Concepción on Linkedin Learning – you can get 30-days free access.

Screenshot 2022-06-21 at 15.58.47.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for pointing out where that drop down is located. I have watched many of her video and have created a dozen reflowable EPUBs. This is the first time this have been a problem. I'll give this a and see if it works.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it was a good thought but there was no change.

I do have a suport request into Adobe.

thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you discovered, using either InDesign or CSS page breaks doesn't work in EPUB.

It sounds as if you are not using Split Document correctly. The options are:

1. Set one or more paragraph styles to split, in the Export Tagging menu of the style, then in the EPUB export, be sure to check Split Document, and select "Based on Style Tags."
  2. In EPUB export, check Split Document, and select "Single Paragraph Style" and choose the style on which you want the EPUB to be split (usually something like Chapter Heading).

The first option is preferable since it allows you to use more than one style for splits.

The important part is that you have to do *both*—check Split Doc in export, and either define the split styles or tell ID to use one style for splitting.

If you still aren't seeing new page starts, examine the EPUB — open it with any ZIP archive reader — and see if there are two or more XHTML content files. If there's only one, it's not splitting. There should be one XHTML file per split (obviously).

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone. I think the probem was this was a older InDesign file. I saved the as idml, then re saved them as current InDesign files. After that I used my original settings and the document exported the way I would have expected it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I think the EPUB features have changed more, by version and over time, than most others. A good point to watch for (older docs) although I'm mystified as to how the failure occurs. 🙂

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines