Start IDS CS5.5 at reboot with IndesignServerServices

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2011 Jun 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen shot 2011-06-08 at 4.50.49 PM.png

We make use of InDesign Server Windows Service and InDesign Server Console

Management snap-in to automatically load InDesignServer. In the current setup
InDesignServer.exe runs yet the InDesignServer.com process doesn't seem to load.

Then on running a JavaScript file via the ExtendScript Toolkit editor the Application

tell us InDesignServer CS5.5 isn't running. See attachments for screenshots.

It is possible to start IDS command line, and by ExtendScript Toolkit, but Windows

Service only launches the indesignserver.exe

Screen shot 2011-06-08 at 4.55.05 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-06-08 at 4.51.28 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2011 Jun 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what is the problem if InDesignServerService just launch InDesignServer.exe?

Best,

Luca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2011 Jun 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The problem is that when I run a script by ExtendScript Toolkit, it says it's going to start InDesign Server. Which gives me the idea that it is'nt really up and running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't really know if this is a feature or a bug but this is the normal behaviour (since the CS3 release). I just tried on every of my development boxes (CS3, CS4, CS5 and CS 5.5)

The only way to target InDesignServer from the EST is to run it from the command line (without any option, this is obvious)

Best,

Luca

PS: I am BTW sure the server is running and listening to the specified port

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of the box, ESTK only knows about the default configuration/port.

Sometimes you can connect to other instances, by using an application specifier extended with the configuration name. On different Mac OSX servers I had varying success with that approach - more recent machines have no problems at all, while older installations with 10.5 won't connect (need not be interrelated). I am glad to have no Windows machines in that project, so I can't tell whether it works there the same way.

Quoting from the JavaScript Tools Guide pdf which is available from ExtendScript Help menu:

For example, for a server launched with SOAP port 12345, the specifier would be

indesignserver_configuration_12345.

You would then address that instance by a #target line within your starting jsx.

#target "indesignserver_configuration_12345"

If recognized, the server is added to the application dropdown of ESTK.

Dirk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dirk!  This is something I was missing  Best, Luca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2011 Jun 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I am sorry, I only mentioned running from estk because this gives a different result in task manager than when trying to autostart the server from indesignserverservice.

We are making a transfer form Mac server to Windows 2008, and things like daemon we already use work different on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines