• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Step and repeat issues in Indesign

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used Indesign for years and came across a proble yesterday that never happened before. I think something may have changed with an update.

All I wanted to do was create a two page ad with headshots on it that have a text box below with the person's name and phone number.

When I did Step and Repeat to build the two pages, that worked just fine except I could NOT delete any of the images used in Step and Repeat to place new ones. Nor could I type over the name and phone number. It's like another layer was created every time I typed anything (there were no additional layers created but the program seemed to be acting as if there were). 

it looked like anchor points were on every frame and text box, but nothing was showing as locked or grouped.

what caused this and how can I "unlock" or get rid of this locked type status so I can delete the images in the frames and place new ones and retype OVER the step and repeat text boxes? 

thank you!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post exact steps you did and/or screenshots/sample files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you do the step and repeat on the master page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, most likely that is what happened. THank you. I re-created the entire thing from scratch but am grateful to know that was likely the issue so i won't let it happen again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would be easy to tell.. Just open the mater page and check how many frames are there. If it's the whole grid, that's where you did the step and repeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you did the Step an Repeat on a Master page which would result in the frames being "locked" on the document pages. To unlock individual frames on the document pages you can Shift-Command click (on a Mac) or Shift-Control click (on a PC) on a locked item. To unlock all of the Master Page items on the page click on that page in the Pages Panel and then select "Override all Master Page Items" from the Pages Panel pull-down menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you, Bill. I think that is what happened. It's been over a week so i just re-created what i needed from scratch, but next time i will know better. I appreciate your response because i never did figure out what happened, but your answer makes perfect sense as I copied an old layout. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines