Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange problem with numbering of imported word file

Engaged ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

I have a strange problem in Indesign 15.1.1 on mac, and it has been there for several versions now.

I save an MS Word document, and "place" it in ID. The problem is, that the "numbering" will have two No. 1 and then 2, 3, 4 etc. but in the original word dokument, all seems ok.

In Word

2020-07-22 at 08.37.png

When placed in ID

2020-07-22 at 08.39.png

Not sure how to fix it, and is it possible to correct in ID somehow?

Thanks

/Ulf

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Guide , Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

it often happens that indesign and word don't have "good communication".
In some anomalous cases you could try to import word document saved in .docx, or .doc or .rtf and see if one of these formats is better then others when you placed it in indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Thanks a lot guys

I tried to make a test document in word, and that went in just fine, so it has to do with the specific document for sure.

I will try the other formats too, before I do somethign dratic.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it often happens that indesign and word don't have "good communication".
In some anomalous cases you could try to import word document saved in .docx, or .doc or .rtf and see if one of these formats is better then others when you placed it in indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can see the setting you have in indesign for those bullets in your paragraph styles? screenshots help

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot guys

I tried to make a test document in word, and that went in just fine, so it has to do with the specific document for sure.

I will try the other formats too, before I do somethign dratic.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just encoutered the same problem (InDesign 2019). My list imported from Word but the numbers on the list have all reverted to '1', the text doesn't seem to be converting correctly to a numbred list. I have looked at the Indesign preferences for the numbered list and they seem to be correct. The responses to the OP seem to suggest re-importing the document in another format, but I have just spent a lot of time formatting this lengthy document and I would rather have a solution that I can apply directly to the InDesign document . Does anyone know of a solution for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, call off the cavalry. I just solved the problem by copying the offending text onto a blank document, removing the style and then reformatting it as a numbered list in InDesign manually (then giving it a new style name). Pretty simple really. But still not sure why it doesn't import correctly from Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines