Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Struggling with the Layout Process

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, 

I work with a government organization, and we do in house publishing. I'm responsible for laying out reports that include figures and tables. Sometimes, these reports are quite extensive, and sometimes I have to layout several of them at once. Quite honestly, I struggle with this because there are so many things that need to checked before they go back to the analyst for review. As much as I check them over, I still seem to miss things. 

I guess this is more of a mental process/strategy question than a technical question. But does anyone have approaches or even ways to build in some of these checklist items into the templates so that I don't miss things? Just looking for some ideas to apply to my process. 

Thanks in advance! 

TOPICS
EPUB , Performance , Print , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

You could put the checklist in the slug area on the parent pages. You could make the form with fillable fields-then include the slug area in your PDFs or print outs. In the image below, I also added the modified variable. 

I would need more info to give any better ideas.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could put the checklist in the slug area on the parent pages. You could make the form with fillable fields-then include the slug area in your PDFs or print outs. In the image below, I also added the modified variable. 

I would need more info to give any better ideas.

image.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is actually brilliant! Thanks so much, I'm going to do this. 

It's mainly a checklist for myself to make sure I don't miss things like figure references, placing textboxes/tables/figures in the right place, or even making sure I have included all assocaited figures with the report. 

Your suggestion is actually super helpful. Basically building the checklist into the template itself. 

Thank you so much. I wish I could have thought of this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done a lot of similar work, but I don't know enough about how you're working to suggest anything concrete. If you are laying out your figures and tables with inputs from databases or Excel spreadsheets or other similar data sources, there's a lot of manual clicking around that can easily be automated away. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Joel, 

I don't flow anything in from databases or from excel. It's usually just text from word, or I copy/paste tables from another indesign document, and graphics from illustrator. I typically will get the content first and flow it into a premade template that I created. The struggle is being to able to make sure I don't miss anything during the process and when the report is extensive or if it has a lot of figures, or if I am laying out several consecutively, depending on the stress level (deadlines etc.), I struggle to be precise with this. A checklist is seemingly the only option I could think of that would help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines