• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Substitute PDF for Publish Online?

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently published a heavily interactive brochure online, it works great, client loves it. However, the PDF that viewers can download for offline viewing loses a lot of functionality, it retains links etc, but none of the good stuff. 

I don't want to lose any functionalality from the online version, but need to deliver a better, albeit dumbed down static offline version. So does anyone know if there is a way to either redirect to or substitute the downloadable PDF?

If not, Adobe I need this enhancement PDQ!

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

As already pointed out, if you're expecting some magical interactive PDF with animations, MSOs, and buttons that is never going to happen. However, if you want to enhance the downloadable PDF, my suggestion is to create it as you wish it to be, upload it to your website, and add a link to it from the Publish Online document itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that your client use it standalone (not a browser plugin) Adobe Reader? 

All non-Adobe readers is an evil. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George,

Thanks for the quick response.

It's not just the client, my colleagues and I have similar results in Adobe reader (I agree BTW other readers are the devil) some of the features simply are not supported (multiple object states) or don't work the same in the downloaded PDF, furthermore at nearly half a gig with a fair bit of video, I really do need two versions of the same thing, an all singing and dancing online version with the ability to download a less dynamic and smaller static version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The downloadable PDF from Publish Online is static. In any case the interactivity in PDFs is strictly limited to things like simple hyperlinks. If you and your clients want interactive documents you might consider in5 an InDesign plugin (at extra cost). https://ajarproductions.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As already pointed out, if you're expecting some magical interactive PDF with animations, MSOs, and buttons that is never going to happen. However, if you want to enhance the downloadable PDF, my suggestion is to create it as you wish it to be, upload it to your website, and add a link to it from the Publish Online document itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A workaround to this situation is to upload the interactive PDF to a web accessible site. Then include in the Publish Online file a link to the interactive PDF. You might as well disable the the download option in Publish Online to force visitors to download from link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines