• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suddenly cannot add additional pointers to existing footnote

Contributor ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For literally years I have been developing very complex tables in InDesign. These tables are giant, ugly and contain tons of footnotes. On top of which, I frequently need to add follow-up 'footnotes' that are, themselves, just cross-reference pointers to existing footnotes.

It is entirely possible that I am missing something basic, but I'd really like to know how to do this. Especially as how I've been accomplishing this for many years. And now, for whatever reason, I cannot do it anymore. I thought this was a basic cross-reference (where I select from the appropriate footnote) and then the dynamic number shows up (so that if I were to re-number, all is well).

I hope this makes sense. I'm just confounded to be stopped like this. Any ideas?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

It's an MS Word thing and I've been bouncing around a bunch of different (and old) source docs. I am positive that I have hallucinated that functionality. Ugh. What a year.

Thank you so much for following up, but you can disregard this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow-up: I am still unable to figure this out. I have attempted Hyperlinks -> Type & Cross-Referencing but that window does not allow me to select an existing footnote and have that footnote's number appear in-text just like a regular footnote.

Update: Has this feature been removed? Because if so, I have to do my designs in MS Word and that's a horrifying prospect.  I need to revert to whichever version of INDD dropped this functionality. It's the key to my entire process-flow.

Update Update: Did I hallucinate this functionality? I'm lost and can't find an allusion to it..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mwarren ,

Can you please help me understand the structure of the document, that you are using, a bit more by aswering following questions:

1.  Are you using Table footnotes or a cross-references within a table to mimic the behavior of footnotes?
  2.  Is it not possible to add another footnote to a footnote text in InDesign, hence I want to understand how you have created these 'follow-up' footnotes. Any INDD document with such example would be of help. If feasible, please send a document with such example to sharewithid@adobe.com with title same as that of this forum thread.
  3. Maybe you can try accessing cross-references from panel which you can activate from Windows->Type & Tables-> Cross-References.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Prateek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey - can you post some examples as screenshots as to what is happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's an MS Word thing and I've been bouncing around a bunch of different (and old) source docs. I am positive that I have hallucinated that functionality. Ugh. What a year.

Thank you so much for following up, but you can disregard this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines