• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suppress footnote auto numbering?

Community Expert ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any relatively simple or straightforward way to suppress footnote numbering — in simplest terms, make it use one character (*) for every footnote? For print, the "restart numbering every page" setting comes close, but for EPUB/Kindle, in which those "page" things don't exist, allowing footnotes to have continuous numbering either results in vast character strings (*********, etc.) or numbers that quickly ascend to two if not three digits. All normal layout and style issues aside, I'd like to be able to export a document with a simple, un-numbered ("always 1") link for each footnote.

I'm not even sure post-processing with a script would work here; I've tinkered with editing the EPUB export and it quickly gets very messy. Forcing ID to be stupid about this would be nice...

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢
TOPICS
EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIR, there is no such thing. 

We can only add our voice here - https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/33906451-cu...

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to throw it into the bitstream in case anyone finds it useful, I use numbered footnotes when there are only a few, which keeps the formatting simple although I think it's confusing to run into "footnote 5" when it's the only one in the chapter; it triggers a "wait, what did I miss?" sort of response.

My "real" fix workaround is to use asterisk-only footnotes (the first numbering option), then on export to EPUB — at least, on hard proofs and final versions — extract the XHTML content file and use a text editor to strip all multiple-asterisk strings to a single asterisk. Replace file in EPUB, convert to Kindle (if you're going that way). This works best with the "footnote following paragraph" export mode and a distinctive, unobtrusive style for each footnote.

An ID feature would make this so much easier, though...

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines