• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SVG imported with wrong content frame

Guru ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have many SVG files from The Noun Project. But when I place some of the ones with transparent backgrounds in version 15.01, the bounding box for the art is off. Either it is too big or it cuts off the art.

I can fix it by opening the SVG art in AI and then saving it out, but it feels awkward having to go back to the old workflow.

Any thoughts?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sandee,

also had issues with SVGs. Even with SVGs from Adobe Illustrator.

InDesign ignored the viewBox entries in the SVG code. And InDesign added an extra of 0.5 Pt on every edge of the graphic while placing.

More details here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/now-import-svg-in-indesign/m-p/10717683#M159403

I could compensate for this in editing the code with a text editor.

Felt like in the days of the late 80s, early 90s when I edited PostScript code to get the right output with an image setter.

Did a bug report on Prerelease some months ago.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe,

I sent an email to The Noun Project. Since they have bazillions of SVG files, I figure they should understand what, if anything, can be done.

Is "ViewBox" what I would call the Crop Box? If so, I also saw the extra space from SVGs from AI. Even if the artboard was set to hug the art.

For me it means that if I have to open up the SVG in AI, I might as well save as an .ai file. šŸ˜¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sandee,

viewBox is not an exotic property of the SVG code.

That InDesign's SVG Import filter ignores viewBox entries is a major bug, I think.

At least the Illustrator developer team has adopted viewBox since perhaps the first time Illustrator was able to save SVG files. Perhaps both teams, InDesign and Illustrator developers, should talk together more often.

Details on viewBox here:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Attribute/viewBox

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

export to SVG with Illustrator and option "Responsive" is unchecked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jason220069373tdl ,

thank you for your comment. I agree. That's the "practical" side of the issue.

Still, InDesign 2022 and all versions below that can import SVG files ignore the viewBox statement.

My last comment here is about 3 years old. In the meanwhile the topic is discussed elsewhere in the InDesign forum in full detail. Other bugs with SVG import as well that effect Publish Online for example. Think of scaling contents in InDesign. One of the two ways, with or without percentage values changing of the container frame, will get you strange effects in the resulting HTML code of Publish Online. Not when you export to PDF or other pixel based formats.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SVG has always been problematic, one of those formats too poorly defined, too erratically supported and 'working' only in a few apps and processes.

It's tough enough when you have control of the export and can adapt the actual SVG to your project and/or workflow problems. But if it's what you were distributed from an archive or another designer, you're often stuck.

I wish the field would move away from it, but it seems to be becoming more prevalent.

ā€”

ā•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ā•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines