Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Symbols incompatibility

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm importing an Excel file where I'm using the Segoe UI Symbol. The font is imported right except some symbols as you can see in the picture. I read that InDesign 17.2 has a bug that creats troubles with some fonts, so I made de downgrade to the 17.1 version but I still have the same problem. Is there any other solution? Thank you!

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Hi Elisabete,

could be that Excel uses a substitution font for the symbols without letting you know.

To get the Unicode value of the missing glyphs you could select every one and look under Info what the Unicode code point is. Find a font in your repository of fonts that supports the missing glyphs.

What could be helpful is this script by Peter Kahrel that could identify all missing glyphs and applies a character style:

Manage missing glyphs (CS4 and later)

"For years, finding a solution to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elisabete,

could be that Excel uses a substitution font for the symbols without letting you know.

To get the Unicode value of the missing glyphs you could select every one and look under Info what the Unicode code point is. Find a font in your repository of fonts that supports the missing glyphs.

What could be helpful is this script by Peter Kahrel that could identify all missing glyphs and applies a character style:

Manage missing glyphs (CS4 and later)

"For years, finding a solution to discovering missing glyphs – the dreaded pink boxes – in InDesign has eluded scripters. Until Peter Baumgartner came up with a solution that works very well. The script on this page uses Peter's solution but adds an interface which shows a document's missing glyphs in a window (rather than in the ESTK), and allows you to apply a font to the missing glyphs."

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/missing_glyphs.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help! I just figured out that after import the Excel file, InDesign changes the symbol font from Segoe UI Symbol to Segoe UI. I had to change it manually but it worked. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem may be different from what you think it is. Ludica Sans does not contain the "X in a circle" symbol U+2297. So - what is happening?

- Most Windows apps (including Word and Excel) will show "X in a circle" if you use U+2297

- And this happens with almost any font

- But most fonts do NOT contain  U+2297

Why can you see it anyway?

- Windows font handling will do this if you use a character (glyph) not in a font.

- Windows will search for another font that DOES contain the glpyh, and use it instead

- The rules for substituting are secret and do change from time to time

- Substituting a random font is the enemy of good typography, so most Adobe design apps will NOT do this.

Hence, you can see the character in Excel, although it is not in the font, but you cannot see the character in InDesign; everything is working correctly (but unhelpfully).

My copy of Segoe UI does contain "not equal" U+2260, but perhaps your copy does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see you are all ahead of me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your help and reply! As I just had a few "symbol errors", for now I solved it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines