• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Symbols indentation

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, people! Does anyone know how to easily indent different symbols list? I want to align the symbols right and the text left (hope not using table).

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

We use a figure space to push single digit numbers over to the right.

1. Make a Paragraph Style for the numbers 1-9.
  2. In the Bullets/Numbering settings, insert a Figure Space just before the /# placeholder.
     Insert a Figure Space before the  /# placeholder.Insert a Figure Space before the /# placeholder.
     NumLists_FigureSpace_02.png
  3. Apply it to the first 9 items in the list.
  4. Make a complimentary paragraph style to format 2-digit lists, but this time leave out the figure space.
  5. Apply the new style to the remaining items in the list.

Make second style without the figure space.Make second style without the figure sp

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Yes, and I've used two different styles for this kind of alignment, in TOCs etc.

But all these workarounds would be unnecessary if the setup simply let us put a tab in the prefix of lists, footnotes, etc. I can't imagine there's an important (unsolvable) reason for this rule; it seems very arbitrary. It's just another white space, after all, and prefixes and suffixes both support WS.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, ID does not support a leading tab for footnotes. It's my preference, too, to right-align the reference marks (and numbers in lists, etc.) and then left-align the text. Other than specifying a fixed negative first line indent, I haven't found a way to align note symbols this way, at least, automatically.

You can define tabs/indents for the footnote style and then manually tab in the symbol on each. That's as close to an automatic solution as I know of, short of GREP styles or a script.

(Could a GREP style be used to insert a leading tab? Hmm.)

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use a figure space to push single digit numbers over to the right.

1. Make a Paragraph Style for the numbers 1-9.
  2. In the Bullets/Numbering settings, insert a Figure Space just before the /# placeholder.
     Insert a Figure Space before the  /# placeholder.Insert a Figure Space before the /# placeholder.
     NumLists_FigureSpace_02.png
  3. Apply it to the first 9 items in the list.
  4. Make a complimentary paragraph style to format 2-digit lists, but this time leave out the figure space.
  5. Apply the new style to the remaining items in the list.

Make second style without the figure space.Make second style without the figure space.

Adobe should let us align the position of bullets/numbers in lists.

But I think pigs will fly before they give us that feature!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, and I've used two different styles for this kind of alignment, in TOCs etc.

But all these workarounds would be unnecessary if the setup simply let us put a tab in the prefix of lists, footnotes, etc. I can't imagine there's an important (unsolvable) reason for this rule; it seems very arbitrary. It's just another white space, after all, and prefixes and suffixes both support WS.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines