• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

sync workspaces and preferences in indesign CC2021

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just switch to a new Mac, is it possible to import my workspaces from my old machine?

otherwise, does the workspaces is saved in a prefs file i can copy?

thank you

TOPICS
Feature request , Import and export , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Workspaces are saved as XML files located in the following path on a Macintosh. You'll need to copy them from this path on your old machine to the same path on the new machine. You'll need to make the user Library file visible using method for your particular macOS version (see link below).

[Computer Name] > Users > [yourname] > Library > Preferences > Adobe InDesign > Version 16.0 [if CC 2021] > en_US > Workspaces.

Access hidden user library files | macOS - Adobe Help Centerhttps://helpx.adobe.com › x-productkb › global › acces...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Hi @SBaseman,

Thanks for reaching out. To set or restore preferences, please refer to this article https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/setting-preferences.html and let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workspaces are saved as XML files located in the following path on a Macintosh. You'll need to copy them from this path on your old machine to the same path on the new machine. You'll need to make the user Library file visible using method for your particular macOS version (see link below).

[Computer Name] > Users > [yourname] > Library > Preferences > Adobe InDesign > Version 16.0 [if CC 2021] > en_US > Workspaces.

Access hidden user library files | macOS - Adobe Help Centerhttps://helpx.adobe.com › x-productkb › ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I do this on a PC? I got a new laptop and want to copy over my custom workspace from my desktop, but I can't find it anywhere. I went online and found some instructions for syncing, but the sync box never pops up. I have CC open on both machines, as well as InDesign, but I can't find a way to sync them. I've spent hours on this and am getting ready to give up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SBaseman,

Thanks for reaching out. To set or restore preferences, please refer to this article https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/setting-preferences.html and let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not tell me how to get my custom workspaces from my desktop computer to my new laptop for InDesign. I can’t even find them anywhere on my desktop. I thought it would be easy to copy them over. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SBaseman ,

your custom workspaces are in a subfolder of your user folder. The path for InDesign 2022 is this:

User > Username > AppData > Roaming > Adobe > InDesign > Version 17.0

Depending on the localisation of your InDesign 2022 you'll see perhaps a en_EN folder, with my German InDesign it's de_DE. Inside is a folder named Workspaces. The workspaces are stored as xml files.

The AppData folder is only visible if you enable to see hidden elements ( files and folders ) in the file system.

This option is disabled by default after setting up a machine with Windows. Also enable the option to see file suffixes. From my German Windows 10:

INDD-Cache-AppData-Directory-Visible.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! My problem has been resolved.

Sent from Mail<> for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to hear that! Feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi harels90553658,

if your old installation of InDesign is just the exact version you installed on your new machine you could even copy over the whole Version 16.0 folder.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines