• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

t w/ dot under when I type f?

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I am working on simple text page but when I revise words with an f a t w/ dot under when I type?

SO the words graffitti and influencer...

I have used new pages, new text boxes etc. 

HELP!

Any ideas much appreciated!

THX

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

THX ! Oddly I relaized the font was Times but should have been Baskerville Old Face, which simply made the issue vanish!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot? What font do you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 12.15.23 AM.png

Hello JMLevy,

Yes, I uploaded a screen shot ... see influencers is intuencers, the t wiht a dot below.

The font is Baskerville Old Face.

Much appreciated,

Paula

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have applied paragrahps style to your text with assigned English language?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THX ! Oddly I relaized the font was Times but should have been Baskerville Old Face, which simply made the issue vanish!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great that you discovered the solution was a font error.

Note that the "fl" portion of influencers was looking for an fl ligature (a ligature is two letters combined into one glyph to represent both letters).

Your version of Times didn't contain the fl ligature and instead substituted the t+dot glyph. I'm suspecting that it's not a Unicode version of Times New Roman.

Ligatures happen behind the scenes: InDesign can automatically use them in your text if:

• You've turned on the option to use ligatures (it's set in your paragraph style), and
  • Your font has that particular ligature.

FYI, I'm surprised to see that your version of Times didn't have the fl ligature and instead did the swap. Modern versions of Times, especially opentype versions, usually have the ligature. Some fonts have more ligatures than others, and other fonts don't have any at all.

Generally, it's best to keep your font technologies up to date. We recommend:

• Don't use any dFonts (on Macs).
  • Don't use any PostScript fonts — they were superceded by OpenType fonts 22 years ago and won't be usable in Adobe's CS programs next year, and they might be missing glyphs, special symbols, and ligatures.
  • Be careful when using older TrueType fonts — they might not be Unicode-compliant and will be missing some glyphs like ligatures, accented characters, and symbols.
  • Check the details/information about your fonts and stick with those that specifically state they are OpenType or Unicode. (Note: OpenType is a form of Unicode.)

Glad the mystery was solved!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines