• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tab key not working properly in new "Create New" in comparison to Legacy Dialog Box in InDesign

Contributor ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently updated from CS6 to the latest Creative Cloud and I've noticed that in dialog boxes when you press the tab key the behaviour has changed. It used to only tab between text fields. Now it tabs between every field, button, menu etc. I have a feeling there is not a setting to turn this off but I thought I'd ask.

This gets really annoying really fast in my print production environment. Where I used to be able to tab 1 or 2 times and type in a number in a field (for example) now it takes 3 or 4 or more tabs and slows things down.

macOS has a keyboard setting to turn this on and off. InDesign should follow it.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Jeremy,

You could make a feature request in the InDesign User Voice website which the product managers view regularly and where other users can vote on your request.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

But you may be happier to go back to a New Document dialog more similar to those you've used before. 

You can accomplish this by turning on the preference to use the Legacy New Document dialog:

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 3.32.56 PM.png

It's definitely faster to navigate:

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 3.32.26 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble. Could you please share a few more details like:

• The version of macOS and InDesign
  • Does this happen in a specific dialog box or all the dialog boxes?
  • Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, or web extensions installed recently.
  • Does resetting InDesign Preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/user-guide.html/in/indesign/using/setting-preferences.ug.html) help to resolve the issue?
    Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings, and InDesign will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Also, you may try running the app in Safe Mode and let us know how it goes.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this is macOS Big Sur 11.4 and the latest InDesign. It's a new computer as of 2 weeks ago. It's not just InDesign, it's also Illustrator. For example, in the New Document box, press the tab key repeatedly and it goes:

> Facing Pages > Start Page # > Primary Text Frame > Page Size > Width ...and so on.

It should only go:

> Start Page # > Width ...all those other buttons etc should be skipped.

This behaviour can be found in any other dialog box, such as Text Frame Options, Paragraph Rules, etc. Trashing the preferences makes no difference. It seems to be the default behaviour for the interface now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeremy,

You could make a feature request in the InDesign User Voice website which the product managers view regularly and where other users can vote on your request.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

But you may be happier to go back to a New Document dialog more similar to those you've used before. 

You can accomplish this by turning on the preference to use the Legacy New Document dialog:

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 3.32.56 PM.png

It's definitely faster to navigate:

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 3.32.26 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I already have it on the legacy dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was your previous system?

This is current system behavior in Big Sur. The keyboard option to select between "Text boxes and lists" and "All controls" no longer exists... and it seems the one checkbox has no affect on ID. Hmmmm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm looking at the setting right now in Big Sur. "Use keyboard navigation to move focus between controls". When I turn that on, pressing the tab key selects tabs, controls etc. With it turned off, it just moves between the search field and sidebar in the control panel.

Regardless, no other app works like this that I've seen. The tab key should only move between text fields like it used to. Previously system was old... El Capitan and CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines