Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tab Leader Styles (InDesign CC2017)

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I can't for the life of me work out how to have a solid keyline as a separator, or tabbed leader in a table of contents. (It's worth noting at this stage, I'm not actually using the 'Table Of Contents' option for this particular exercise.)

After some research, older tutorials and threads have advised using an em dash. But I'm not getting the desired results. Strikethrough kinda works, but you can't control the weight of the keyline.

Hyphen result:

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 15.51.04.png

En dash result:

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 15.50.55.png

Em dash result:

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 15.56.27.png

Strikethrough result:

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 15.48.37.png

Any enlightenment gratefully received. I might even send you a Fry's Turkish Delight.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Playing with this, but as start, you can control the weight of the strikethrough—Alt/Opt click on the strikethrough button on the control panel.

InDesign CCss_003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Playing with this, but as start, you can control the weight of the strikethrough—Alt/Opt click on the strikethrough button on the control panel.

InDesign CCss_003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Top notch result BarbBinder​. Works a treat! Thanks loads.

Turkish Delight winging its way to you as we speak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or use an underline character as the leader, and then create a character style to give it a baseline shift? You can also customize the underline weight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a custom character style with an underline, and apply this to the tab character. This will allow you control over the weight and position of the underline.

Screenshot 2017-07-24 11.36.51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good option, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so here's how to pull it all together:

1. Don't use a leader at all, just define a tab between the text and the number (those are my heads at the top, to pull into the TOC)
    InDesign CCss_006.png
  2. Create a character style to add the underline, and use the underline options to define it
    InDesign CCss_007.png
  3. Create the TOC in the Layout menu, and assign the character style at the same timeInDesign CCss_008.pngInDesign CCss_009.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...but what about Rabbits?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just thought I'd add an alternative solution which doesn't rely on underlines or use the TOC function. You can use Grep Styles to style just the Tab character using \t in the grep box, and then adding a character style. The \t selects any tab character in your paragraph, so you can extend this with other GREP modifiers if you wanted for instance to style only the second tab in a line. The useful GREP stuff is mostly actually RegEx so see BBPrT.png (763×1037) (imgur.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines