Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table design problem

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm trying to design a table which is used on many pages (100+). The table contains both - information common for all tables and information specified for each one. Purpose is to be able to change the table layout afterwards without need to rewrite all the tables again.

When using the master page and editing each table as needed (inserting the individual information to each table), the connection between that table and master page disappears. When uploading the table first into the CC library and using the linked one on each page, the table layout changes can be made but then the table contents in the linked tables disappear.

The table I'm designing contains different row heights, merged cells etc. so the table styles don't seem to help in this case??

Br.  Ari

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

I would suggest do not put a table on the master. Tables are unique. But, you can use table and cell styles to help automate the placing of individual word or excel tables. Word tables can have the repeating headers and footers designed in advance, whereas excel tables can not have headers and footers that repeat set until after placing in InDesign. Bear in mind that heights and widths of cells are not captured in a cell or table style. They, too, must be done largely manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ , Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

I haven't used it myself, but I've heard good things about Woodwing's Smart Styles plugin and table formatting!

https://www.woodwing.com/en/smart-styles-adobe-indesign-plugin

May be worth checking out. (I'm not affiliated in any way!)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest do not put a table on the master. Tables are unique. But, you can use table and cell styles to help automate the placing of individual word or excel tables. Word tables can have the repeating headers and footers designed in advance, whereas excel tables can not have headers and footers that repeat set until after placing in InDesign. Bear in mind that heights and widths of cells are not captured in a cell or table style. They, too, must be done largely manually.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mike!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't used it myself, but I've heard good things about Woodwing's Smart Styles plugin and table formatting!

https://www.woodwing.com/en/smart-styles-adobe-indesign-plugin

May be worth checking out. (I'm not affiliated in any way!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I'll check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines