• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

table formatting help - specific example

Participant ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi- I'd love to get opinions on the easiest way to create this table (example attached). This picture is something someone else created in the past. I have new data to input and need to create my own table. I already have a table style similar to this table - it just doesn't have the extra black outlined cells within the bigger cells (the areas that say # of storers and VPO). Would it be best to create a table with 10 rows to include that extra data, and then merge cells so it looks right? I am slow and kind of meticulous about my tables. I have a cell style and paragraph style for everything. I just like to work that way. But I get tripped up sometimes with formatting the outlines for cells. They never seem to show what I have asked for! Thank you, everyone.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

I think it would be quicker to insert little tables within the larger table. And yes, use table, cell and paragraph styles for both the small and large tables. A properly constructed table style can nest the cell and paragraph styles in it, so that you can format each table just by assigning the correct table style. 

~Barb

tables.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be quicker to insert little tables within the larger table. And yes, use table, cell and paragraph styles for both the small and large tables. A properly constructed table style can nest the cell and paragraph styles in it, so that you can format each table just by assigning the correct table style. 

~Barb

tables.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh wow - I didn't know you could do that! I love this community. So I guess I would go ahead and make cell styles, etc for that little one that's being insterted? And a table style? Did it just default to the black outlines or did you assign them? Also, doesn't it usually ask how many rows and columns you want when you select "insert table"? Just wondering if you did anything before this. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CarinTMCLG:

You can use the default rules or you can set your own. If you aren't sure how to control the rules, show us an example of what is happening and we can explain what you need to do. Not having seen your file, I don't know where to start the explaination of how they work. 

And yes, you will see a dialog box when you insert a table asking how many rows and columns—I suspect mine was sitting just outside the screen capture and I didn't notice it. Sorry about that. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks! I finished them. I found it easier to make and format one mini table, insert it like you showed, then copy and paste the whole cell and change the numbers. Otherwise, I was having to resize my rows if I inserted a new mini table each time. I thought you used to be able to specify row heights within styles but now it looks like we have to do that after the fact. I find that so annoying! And having to re-assign those strokes after making a new cell style, even though I used a previous cell style with the strokes there to make the new style. I find glitches now, too, like having applied the right styles but things look different than they should. No overrides or anything. It just doesn't want to do what it's been told! Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad you got it taken care off, @CarinTMCLG.

When you have some free time, come back and create a new thread to ask us about the ruling lines. We can help!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Will do. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CarinTMCLG ,

Thanks for reaching out. Please try the suggestion shared by Barb Binder. In addition to that, I found this great article on setting up a table in InDesign which you can refer to https://creativepro.com/indesign-how-mind-your-table-manners/ 

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Rishabh, I will check that out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines