• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of contents color won't update and index page numbers have a return after every two entries

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Running into two issues I'm hoping someone has some insight on.

The table of contents won't update the color. I can't seem to get that red color to change to the blue. The 3rd level changed no problem like I would have expected.

Brendan24111036dhr9_3-1665948610178.png

Brendan24111036dhr9_4-1665948658152.png

I'm using the default styles for the index and it looks like this:

Brendan24111036dhr9_1-1665948526294.pngBrendan24111036dhr9_2-1665948547174.png

How do I get the page numbers to continue in the same line?

Really appreciate any thoughts here!

Thanks a bunch,

Brendan

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

The problem in the index is caused by the character style '5eArrow CS'. It's set by default. To fix that, make sure you have no selection at all, then select the character style '[None]' and redo the index. Or remove the character style from the index.

The TOC problem is caused by nested styles on your TOC paragraph styles:

PeterKahrel_0-1666005370199.png

These character styles apply a colour. Fix or remove the nested style and you'll be fine. No need to redo the TOC.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Brendan24111036dhr9":

Check the level 2 heads for a character style in the source files. Remove the character styles and update the TOC. 

I can't figure out what is going on with the index, and specifically what the blue hyphen between the non-consecutive numbers is doing. Your index dialog box seems to show the standard comma space between numbers. What you are getting seems more like a flush space, but I don't see why, nor would it be a hyphen. Can you share the index? You can put it on dropbox and message me the link privately, if you are comfortable sharing it. 

Also, what is the alignment on the index entries? It should be align-left.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Barb, @Peter Kahrel, @James Gifford—NitroPress 

I don't believe there are any character styles either in the toc or on those headings in the text itself.

Brendan24111036dhr9_1-1665963662803.png

Brendan24111036dhr9_2-1665963707678.png

Looks like it's left aligned. Whatever default is, haven't touched that.

Brendan24111036dhr9_3-1665963787415.png

I'll upload it and send you a link. Thank a ton for taking a look!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The colour problem in your TOC could be caused by overrides on the headings in the text.

The index problem -- no idea. The paragraph marks are scaled horizontally and vertically, baseline-shifted down, and moved to the right, maybe some spaces added.  You should have a comma (and probably a space) between your page numbers , as set out in the index  generation box, but the comma isn't shown and the spaces are scaled.

Maybe some nested styles cause havoc? If that's not the problem, maybe post your document so that we can take a look.

(Written while Barb posted, hence the overlap.)

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd think this — that there are character styles on the indexed headings. TOC generation will pull those in. Change to a simple Paragraph Style on those and most of these problems should go away.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem in the index is caused by the character style '5eArrow CS'. It's set by default. To fix that, make sure you have no selection at all, then select the character style '[None]' and redo the index. Or remove the character style from the index.

The TOC problem is caused by nested styles on your TOC paragraph styles:

PeterKahrel_0-1666005370199.png

These character styles apply a colour. Fix or remove the nested style and you'll be fine. No need to redo the TOC.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did not know about nested styles! Thank you so much for taking the time to show me that. I'm not clear on what was happening with the 5e arrow, but I'm not using it so I just deleted it completely. It all worked great! Thanks you so much @Peter Kahrel! Document is starting to look normal, especially that index. Thanks again!

Brendan24111036dhr9_0-1666027205745.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines