• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of Contents - First Words of Paragraph Only

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any trick for TOC to grab the bolded words in paragraphy only?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing simple. TOCs don't have a lot of flexibility; they grab the whole paragraph or nothing. This may be another case where using the Cross-Ref feature may work better; it can easily simulate the TOC feature but offers a great deal more flexibility.

It's also likely a script could process a TOC to trim it to only those bolded terms (which would need to be bolded through a defined character style, but that's basic).

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought so. Thanks for the quick response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is where being able to add character styles (not just paragraph styles) to a TOC would be useful...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. Or something like TOC stoping at inserted special character, or pulling through nested style only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could be useful, but it's usually possible to structure target paragraphs and the style applied in TOC generation to get to any reasonable layout and visuals. The OP here wants the somewhat unusual option of picking a few words out of a target paragraph, which gets pretty dicey to implement.

I've done some very elaborate TOCs with the feature as it is... but not with selective use of the target content.

A very complicated way to do it would be to make those paragraphs pseudo run-in, with the bolded portion one paragraph and the rest another. But that makes the text itself very complicated and fragile.

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, that cross references would do that job.

But I use often another method:

1. I wotk on a new layer.
  2. Write paragraphs as they should appear in the TOC.
  3. Those paragraphs have paragraph styles with a coloured character color during the work.
  4. From these Paragraphs I create the TOC.
  5. At the end I change the character colour to [None].
  6. If I need to make changes I change temporarily the color.
  7. The other time I lock their layer to avoid accidental chnges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's good, but I assume you have to align the TOC text with the rest of the text on a main layer... pretty tricky. But possible, and a good approach. I tend not to think of layers for text work!

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines